which size of Oetiker clamps to use with keg tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seems I have a very slow leak in my kegging system that I cannot seem to pinpoint using soap/water mixture to search for bubbles. Thus, I have been thinking about swithcing out my screw thread clamps for Oetiker style clamps but I do not know which size to order.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Det...category=*Parts%3AClamps&searchpath=169772408

I am using 3/16" ID (7/16" OD) tubing for the liquid side and 5/16" ID (9/16" OD) tubing for the gas size. I cannot seem to find a simple coversion table to use so if anyone has one for reference I would like to see it. Also if anyone has any suggestions on what can be done to try to isolate my leak I would be very receptive to hearing ideas.

Turn the pressure to the system to 30psi. You'll hear any leak. If you have shutoffs at the.manifold(s) and such then you can also use those tk better isolate the leak. Going with the Oetiker clamps will go a long way to eliminating leaks too.

Obviously disconnect the kegs before you crank up the pressure. Unless they're empty.

BTW, submerging the system is often impractical as well as unreliable for finding leaks. Spraying with StarSan is more reliable and many times easier.

Get a small empty spray bottle, go to your local propane retailer and see if you can buy some actual Gas Leak Detector. The stuff we get is pink and comes in a gallon jug. I'm not sure how it is different than plain ole soap and water but it will show a leak that soap never will. Spray every exposed surface, you can find leaks in the dangedest places. Of course concentrate on clamped hoses but also regulator to tank connector, regulator adjustment stem, and all valve handle stems. I've found over the years it can be difficult to 100% seal the regulator to tank connection.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will also have another set of ears and eyes help me check the system since I use a hearing aid in my left ear. Although I won't be bale to isolate the leak tonight I do feel more confident with the suggestions given that I can (hopefully) eliminate the leak soon.

Latest posts

Back