Bench capper vs. hand capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hand capper now and am looking to get a bench capper for my birthday. The hand capper is fine but I cant have a hold on my beer bottle. I haven't had one slip or fly out while capping but with a bench capper I'll have that peace of mind knowing that I'm supporting the bottle while capping.

Good question. I use a hand capper and never plan on changing unless I start kegging?

I have a couple of OLD bench cappers. One is close to the first generation cappers since my grandfather used to make his own ketchup and bottle it in those thick old coke bottles.

Before I found these cappers in the hayloft of my dad's barn, I would have been perfectly content with my wing capper. But after using it and never having to worry about "can I cap this bottle" or any other issues, I will only ever get bench cappers from here on out. Since this one is old and made during the hayday of american manufacturing, I doubt I will ever need another one unless I lose it!

I don't bottle much anymore, but when I did bottle, I had two of the red handled cappers break on me and fling pieces across the house. For my use now that I keg, the hand capper works fine assuming it doesn't break, but if I was still bottling on a regular basis I'd want to get a bench capper.

PS, if you get a bench capper, keep a little scrap of 2x4 around. I use it so I can bottle entire batches in the small Sierra Nevada/Negro Modello/Anchor Steam bottles!

Why would you change when you start kegging? You'll use a capper a lot less often then.

I bottle from the keg - beer gun.

Any one have any comments on the Agata capper ?

They sell for around 40.00

This one:

clip_image002.jpg

When I first started, I used a hand capper. Upgraded to a bench capper, much easier. I am now kegging, MUCH easier!

I just read a review on the bench capper, and one person said they had problems with their oxygen absorbing caps not seating correctly with the bench or wing capper

I had the same problem.

I'm going to ditch the O2 caps and try mixing some sugar water and bread yeast and try the regular caps vs. the O2 caps

I had a very bad experience with 4 recent competitions.

I received a 42 and 1st place in one contest, and the other 3 I didn't get squat.

I was extremely confused until I read about the O2 caps not seating well with any kind of capper.

Thanks to all who responded - very much.

Any add'l info (on cappers or the O2 caps) would be appreciated also.

Did they mention oxydation in the other contests? Is oxydation what you are assuming to have been the problem?

I would assume if a cap has problems "not seating well" the beer would also be flat?

I had a few bottles I kept, and I drank one and noticed a bit of a lack of carbonation.

And, that was weeks before the contests.

I have not gotten any score sheets back.

I'm sure that's the problem.

I tap bottled some in Grolsh bottles for a beer meeting about a month ago and the beer went over extremely well - blonde ale - one of the older members asked me if I was sure it was an ale.

Good lesson learned the very hard way.

Thanks to all again.

I'm a bit uncoordinated, so I found the wing capper difficult to manage, and I broke a couple of bottles while trying to cap them. When I switched to a bench capper, it was MUCH easier, and I never broke a bottle again while capping. IMO, well worth the money.

I have the Super Agata, had it now for a few years. Works great, even with O2 absorbing caps. Never have issues at all with flatness in competition beers. Where did you read there was an issue?

I have the Super Agata, had it now for a few years. Works great, even with 02 absorbing caps. Never have issues at all with flatness in competition beers. Where did you read there was an issue?

On the Northern Brewer site - to to ghe Super Agata - reviews. Guy's name is Sam.

BTY, I have never had problems with O2 absorbing caps in the past.

I've been out of brewing for about 3 years, and my wife is the capper.

Still, I believe the S-Agata is going to be in my shopping cart soon.

The Super Agata is great and even caps those shorty Sierra Nevada bottles mentioned earlier in this thread as I use these often for competitions. I use the O2 caps from Brewcraft, no problems whatsoever. I even bottled a bunch of force carbed helles bock about 3 months ago for a competition here in a few weeks and I popped one last night and it was fine. Quite tasty actually. I hope it wins.

The Super Agata also allows you to swap to a 29mm bell if you want to cap bigger bottles with the 29mm crowns.

The Super Agata is great and even caps those shorty Sierra Nevada bottles mentioned earlier in this thread as I use these often for competitions. I use the O2 caps from Brewcraft, no problems whatsoever. I even bottled a bunch of force carbed helles bock about 3 months ago for a competition here in a few weeks and I popped one last night and it was fine. Quite tasty actually. I hope it wins.

The Super Agata also allows you to swap to a 29mm bell if you want to cap bigger bottles with the 29mm crowns.

This has been very disheartening and disappointing. I guess the 2 that got 1st managed to have a good seal.

I have 3 left that I am going to bring to my next homebrew meeting (to show people what not capping properly does)

I just bot the Super Agata - will bottle in 2 1/2 weeks (kegging tonight, and wait at least 2 weeks before serving or bottling)

Thanks again to all for your responses and advice.

I just read that review and he still gives it high marks even though it didn't work well with the caps he had.

There were mostly good reviews, a few bad ones. I have mine screwed into my work bench so it never moves. If it is screwed down, it works perfectly. Looks like some issues with broken springs etc but mine has held up for a few years.

My Red Baron wing capper is going on some 7 batches now,no problems. I use the o2 barrier caps & never a single problem. Have you inspected the lip on your bottles lately? Maybe chipped or not square somehow? Are you pulling the handles down level? You notice I said pull,not gorilla,like I used to do.
This isn't power lifting,don't jerk it roughly/quickly. Just pull the handles down till the hemispherical clamps contact the bottle neck. Then pull firmly,slowly down till the handles are level. They have to come down fully level to properly seal. Again,don't gorilla them. I broke one SN stubby that way. Now I pay more attention to how the device actually works.
I know it sounds simplistic,But things that go wrong usually are the simple,over looked ones.

Ive got the bench capper mentioned. Great unit. I have it screwed to a 11"x11" ply square and clamp that to the table top. Works fine. I have different bottle sizes marked on the post for quick changes.

I have different bottle sizes marked on the post for quick changes.

I'm not clear on why you need to mark different bottle sizes on the post. You do realize that the Super Agata bench capper is self adjusting, right? I have one and have had zero problems with it.

I got the manual-adjusting Agata a few months ago and I like it a lot. The wing capper worked just fine for a dozen or so batches until I started to accumulate odd pilsner bottles that don't have the lip that a wing capper uses for grip. The only thing I had on hand for those was an old hammer capper. Great fun that was! I just put some felt pads on the base so it won't scratch the counter.

I'm not clear on why you need to mark different bottle sizes on the post. You do realize that the Super Agata bench capper is self adjusting, right? I have one and have had zero problems with it.

I have the same Super Agata and yes, it is very, very easily adjusted, but I can see why someone might take a Sharpie and mark the height positions for the bottles most frequently used, then slide the trolley thingie down to a desired spot and latch it with the handle before starting a run. Probably saves about 5 seconds over putting a bottle in place and setting the trolley thingie for it ;)

fwiw, I've had it for years and have run literally hundreds of cases of bottles through it, always with oxygen scavenging caps, and have never had a flat bottle. The darned thing is virtually fool proof. I did follow the directions and kept the bell lightly oiled. Maybe that makes a difference, I dunno.

But one fateful day I bottled 20 gallons of brew on one of the hottest days of the year. Kept all the house windows closed to avoid any "bugs" from floating into the beer and by the end of the day was dripping with sweat and swearing I'd get my **** together and put a keezer together and kiss the bottles goodbye!

The rest is history. And I gave a dozen cases of sanitized bottles away to the next generation of brewers. But I kept the Ferrari and a few cases of bottles for any unforeseen need...

Cheers!

Back