Blending batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Made an all grain rye beer last Sunday and missed the OG badly by some mistakes that have since been accounted for. OG was supposed to be 1.072 and came out to 1.040. This batch has fermented out for the last week. I did an AG to extract with specialty grains conversion in beersmith. And I changed the batch size to 2 gallons leaving the ingredients the same(except the hops), comparable to someone who would make a beer kit and add it to 3 gallons plain water going into the primary. Beersmith pumped out a OG of 1.179. Then blend the two gallons with four gallons of the 1.040 going into secondary and repitch yeast. This would make a theoretical OG of 1.069, because the first four gallons would be fermented out. I would imagine that this would affect the flavor some, but would beef up the weaker gravity. Not sure if I would actually do it, but in theory it is similar to how large commercial breweries do it. Has anyone ever tried this?

Latest posts

Back