Barley Wine Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonSez

Reaction score
I am a fan of belgian ales and have decided to try my luck at making a barley wine similar to this style. So far this is what I have come up with.

6lbs Wheat LME
6lbs Light DME
2lbs Belgian clear candy sugar

1/2lb Dingemans carapils
1/2lb Dingemans biscuit malt

4oz Saaz (60)
4oz Saaz (30)
1oz Saaz (5)

1oz Coriander (5)
1oz Bitter orange peel (5)

Wyeast strong belgian ale yeast
Wyeast champagne yeast to finish it off if necessary

What do you guys think? :drunk:

Looks to me like a cross between a Wit and a very strong Tripel. I wouldn't call that a "barley wine", unless all that qualifies a beer to be a barleywine is high gravity.

If you think it'll taste like an American or English "Barley Wine Style Ale", I'd think again. Sure, it'll have high alcohol, but if you're looking to do a belgian-styled b-wine, I'd darken it up a bit. Barleywines are characterized largely by their intense maltiness, so I think I'd just call this recipe a belgian strong, or something along those lines.

Sounds like it could be a really good brew, regardless.

Too much for a Belgian ale. Extract will need to be bumped back to at least 8lbs or even 7lbs, shoot for a gravity in the 1.080's. Sugar not to exceed 20% but as low as 10%. Grain bill is usually nothing more than pils malt (light extract in your case, don't recall wheat in the mix except for wits) and some form of sugar. You seem to have the right idea, just the O.G. is too high.

Back