Should have listened to that little voice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
The one that said "you have two pounds of rye in your grist, use some rice hulls!"

It was a 13.5-pound grist and I barely had room in my mash tun though, so I figured 2 pounds. No big deal. The barley hulls will take care of it.

Anyway now I have a stuck (or at least very very slow) sparge. Is there anything that can be done other than to just wait until it trickles out 6.5 gallons of wort??

Same thing happened to me yesterday with some wheat. I blew back through the hose a couple times, that got it going. But it was a little slower than my normal lauters.

Hmm. Been lautering for a good hour or two now. Maybe I'll try that. Will that impact the clarity of my wort?

I'd like to know an exact method for determining when & how much wheat or rye, etc., requires rice hulls or some different approach to lautering. I've done 5 AG batches so far, and among them has been a hefeweizen with 4 pounds of wheat malt in a 9.5 lb. grain bill, and a rye IPA with 2 lbs. rye in a 14.5 lb. bill. After reading a bunch of stuff on the forums, I decided not to use the rice hulls.....and I had no problems with either batch. Both seemed to lauter just as freely as the other beers. And yet- there does seem to be a stuck sparge problem associated with these grains. I'd just like to be able to know when it's me that's going to have the problem.

I mean the OD of my hose is smaller than the ID of my ball valve. I have a Home Depot two blocks away, but I've been drinking and don't really want to drive.

Got some tubing from my IC to fit on there. Blew in and it ran a little faster for a second or two but now it's running cloudy and as slow as ever :(

Mine ran cloudy for a little while after blowing in the tube. It got going pretty good and cleared up pretty quickly. I just tried to get a good hot and cold break to compensate for the chunks that got into the boil. I figured better cloudy wort than no wort. Good luck.

Last night I brewed an Irish Red. Had just put a brand new braid in the mash tun. I vorlaufed, then ran my runnings through a coffee filter that sat inside my funnel with a filter in that. Super clean runnings. It always bugs the **** out of my when I get little chunks in my wort.

I'd like to know an exact method for determining when & how much wheat or rye, etc., requires rice hulls or some different approach to lautering.

I've used up to 35% rye malt, never used a rice hull in my life and never had a stuck mash with it. Frankly, it depends on your system and procedures. You can help things by doing a rest at 130F and then proceed as usual.

Man, people on here told me a single infusion mash was all I needed, period. 2:30 now and I'm STILL LAUTERING.

I'm finally boiling. I have ~6.5 gallons at ~1.043 after correcting for temperature. I was shooting for ~1.07x :(

Back