Beer line cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
A friend of mine runs a local club and has offered me some of the cleaner they use to clear the lines & pump heads each night before selling the beer.

Can this line cleaner be used to sterilise the bottles/spoons etc as opposed to the Young's Sodium Metabisulphite white powder i currently use ?

Thanks

AFAIK, beer line cleaner is not a sanitizer. It may work, but it is more intended to help remove beer stone and other deposits than it is to remove infection. Beer in a line is typically moving, especially in a commercial setup.

Actually, next time you go to the LHBS, you might want to switch to Iodophor or Star San (my favorite is Star san). These are no rinse sanitizers that just need wet contact for about a minute to work. I fill a spray bottle with star san and spray it on everything when I'm brewing.

no rinse sanitizer ?
Do you just pop a drop in the bottle and give it a little swirl around then empty the bottle.
I mean if you do get all the sanitizer out when you go to fill it with beer will there be a foul taste ?
Or have i got this wrong.

You coat whatever you want sanitized with it and then wait. Small amounts will not hurt the beer and it is perfectly safe. For bottles, I would make a couple gallons and dunk the bottles in it. Empty 'em and fill 'em.

Do some searches for "star san" and "don't fear the foam" and you will find all the info you need.

Latest posts

Back