approx 2 weeks in, strong sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
So i reracked some apple after about 2 weeks in the bucket and it smells strongly of sulfur.

I used half a campden tablet per gallon 24 hours before because the juice isnt pasturized, but im thinking i should have skipped this step because its worked fine without before.

I put in a can of concentrate and not very much sugar, for about 7 percent yield.

I had to leave for spring break but i racked it to a carboy and stuck it in the fridge.

what do you guys think im looking at here? any hope?

I'm not 100% awake right now, or 100% sure that this is solid advice but I believe that is normal. Rhino farts anyone?

the thing is, the same juice and yeast were nothing like this in previous brews, though this is my first time using the bucket, and campden

Thats the last time im using campden for anything other then cleaning. How long should I have to wait for it to be drinkable? Its in the fridge right now

Oh wow, I just realized I totally missed the point of your original post. I thought you were saying that the cider had a sulfur smell while fermenting. That's what I get for lurking at 2 AM.

Hopefully it'll still go away in time. I'd say sample one at 4 weeks, and see if it's gone. If not, I'd just try one every month until it dies down, or until you've run out of cider to sample. Good luck.

Well he still didn't bottle it llama, try reading it a third time haha. He just racked it to a carboy and put that in the fridge. Give it time, campden is used during rackings for anti-oxidation protection. The sulfur should find its way out of the brew in time, but you might have to wait a while to bottle this one if you intended this as a cold crashing before bottling stage.

aw hell, just give the cider some derogitory nickname
like "Satan's Anus Cider"... make a clever label for it and tell your friends you actually meant for it to taste like the prince of darkness cropdusted the phone booth you were standing in, and the sulphur increases the potency of the alchohol and is good for the libbido. they'll love it. :mug:

is the sulfer taste/smell going to go away any faster in my carboy then in the juice bottles? its tying up my 6 gal carboy.

I return tomorrow, I hope that any trace of sulfer will have magically disappeared but im guessing my fridge/cider is going to reek of it

As long as the juice is aged in an air-locked container the smell will eventually go away, although your fridge might smell for a while ha ha ha. Get some Arm & Hammer...

I'm about 10 days in; samples taste all right but still smell like feet. Not hugely sulfuric, but not great. I'm hoping it will clear up with another week or two.

Back