AHS South by Southwheat - Anyone made this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
Austin Homebrew Supply

This uniquely southwestern wheat beer includes organic agave nectar as an adjunct sugar, creating an interesting sweet aftertaste. It's hopped with Sorachi Ace, a Japanese hop, for a truly international flair. It features organic agave nectar and flaked wheat. O.G. = 1.056. Approximately 5.5% ABV.

I was thinking about picking it up to go along side their Raspberry Porter but was wondering if anyone had made it yet and what the results were.

The kit was just released about a week ago. We have sold quite a few but I doubt any customers have tasted it yet. The Sorachi Ace hop has a little lemoney flavor so it works well with the wheat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Forrest

Thanks for the info, it sounds good but I had no experience with those hops or the agave nectar in beers.

Sounds interesting, I'd say go for it! Maybe like tequiza, but better. Much better.

I have that nearing the end of its time in primary, so I have no idea how the beer tastes, but the agave nectar itself was RIDICULOUSLY good. Hard to avoid eating it off the top of the carton.

I have that nearing the end of its time in primary, so I have no idea how the beer tastes, but the agave nectar itself was RIDICULOUSLY good. Hard to avoid eating it off the top of the carton.

Good to know I am looking forward to brewing a batch :mug:

*subscribed* cuz I'm interested. I have all the ingredients on hand, surprisingly. Was thinking of brewing this one up, but have a full log for at least another 5 weeks. Hobgoblin then Barleywine then Stout. Hm.

Bottled tonight. The hydro sample tasted almost ... a little bit ... let's just say a hint of ... pineapple.

SWMBO wasn't sure about that specific flavor, but agreed there was definitely a nice, subtle fruitiness.

It doesn't taste like a fruit beer. I think the typical fruit beer goes maybe 80/20 beer/fruit. This was more like 96/4. (Much less of a fruit taste than the banana hefeweizen I ended up making before I learned the difference between ambient and fermentation temps, to put it in context.)

Anyway, I have no idea if that's the Japanese hops, the agave nectar (which I figured would mostly ferment out) or just something weird in my process, but I'm hoping it sticks around after carbonation. It's a pretty cool beer right now.

The Sorachi Ace hops have a slight lemoney flavor. That is where the fruit flavor comes from. It should be subtle though.

Forrest

I got the kit last night and brewed it. All went well and it is now happily fermenting. The OG was a bit low @ 1.045ish but I am happy with the results. The kit packaging they use was great, although seeing hops in an electrostatic discharge bag was amusing.

Two thumbs up to AHB.

2886674015_3cfb037ca8.jpg

2886672921_1e209319c8.jpg

So far it is looking pretty good, there is definitely some sweetness and some lemon flavor in there and the wheat is more pronounced that I would have expected. Especially considering the 14% AA Sorachi hops, but they are not that overpowering and did lend a nice pepper note to the background. For a week old and semi carbed it is quite tasty.

Overall I think this is definately a winner. :mug:

So, now that it's been a month...

..how is it?

Does the agave totally ferment out? Or is there a bit of the flavor left?

So, now that it's been a month...

..how is it?

Does the agave totally ferment out? Or is there a bit of the flavor left?

You can taste the wheat and hops in there far more than the agave, it is more of a non-malty subtle sweetness than anything.

The Breckenridge Brewery does an Agave wheat, for anyone else who is interested in trying the style. I find it to be quite tasty.

I brewed this kit on the 1st of October. Three weeks in primary, three weeks in bottles. The agave nectar leaves very little residual sweetness and the initial hop flavor was more "grapefruity" than anything else. It has since conditioned into quite a tasty brew. I'm going to order this one again.

AHS should have some way to inform people of a new recipe. I have gotten a few via email but did I miss this one?

AHS should have some way to inform people of a new recipe. I have gotten a few via email but did I miss this one?

It was in the Austin Homebrew Supply News: September 2, 2008 email newsletter, along with the London Calling, Riwaka Red, and Oaked Porter. :)

I had a couple last night and the wheat flavor has calmed way down, and more residual sweetness is starting to show through. It was a good beer fresh and is still a good beer but is aging into a completely different flavor profile.

Just wanted to revive this thread, since AHS added the kit to their regular lineup.

I brewed it maybe 2 months ago. I like it. this stuff is primo. This and a basic hefeweizen will probably be the only 2 wheat beers I even make regularly. The agave flavor is very subtle as an aftertaste. You might not notice the agave flavor unless you've tasted plain agave juice/nectar.

I was a huge fan of this when Tenchiro and I brewed it in the fall and it conditioned really well. Now that AHS has added it to the regular line up, I am definitely going to vote it into the queue. The grapefruit-ie sharpness of the Sorachi hops paired with the hint of agave over the lighter bodied wheat makes it an excellent choice for a summer hammock beer.

Back