Drying hops with a box fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmithpdx

Reaction score
I just harvested my first year Cascades. Woohoo! Now I am ready to dry them, and I'd like to use the box fan/furnace filter method. I have searched around, but I'm having trouble finding info on approximately how long it will take to dry them using this method, so that's my first question. Also, I have seen some people suggest that you put the fiters on the intake side, and others say on the output side.

Any advice? Right now, I have the wet hops in a Zip-Loc freezer bag in the fridge, but I want to start drying them ASAP! Thanks!

Doug

Alton Brown, on Good Eats, shows this. He placed his jerky on the outflow side and set the box fan on it's back, supported so that air can be drawn up from underneath, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure either direction would get the job done.

How long? I dont' know. Read up on the hops manual and see what they say is the point of completion.

I did Alton Brown's method with a small batch of Cascade hops and it took about a day to dry them. I would not think it would hurt to go a longer than a day, to ensure that they are dry.

We just did this with some Cascades my friend grew. In 24 hours with the fan they were still just a bit wet. Another 24 hours without the fan and they were totally dry. YMMV based on humidity, etc.

Latest posts

Back