Party pigs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONW

Reaction score
I am currently in the secondary fermantation of my first brew and I was wondering if anyone has bottled into party pigs?

yeah, its fairly simple to do. make sure you read the instructions on it. Seems like each time we use one, we always mess up the metal rings somehow. Make sure its even all the way around and leave room for your tap. My bro-in-law used one and his tap was right above a screw which made it difficult in pouring. I also
recommend using 4 ounces of priming sugar.

Thanks.
How long does your beer stay good in the pigs?

I still have my bourbon barrel porter i bottled 8 months ago in my pig. I used one for a stout and it worked great.

Don't get a pig. Get a tap-a-draft. Then you don't have to pay stupid amounts ($5 or so) for those inflation pouches every single time you use the pig. CO2 cartridges are much cheaper. Only about 70 cents each, and you only need three of them to dispense six liters. And, if you wanna do a nitrogen-fed stout like Guinness, you can get N2O cartridges!

I have to admit, the pouches do get annoying, especially when your finished with one. I had one blow up in my face as soon as i took the tap and gasket off. my advice is to LOOSEN it first and then use a needle or something small and sharp to poke it with. If kegging wasn't so expensive to start.....

I used my pig twice. The second time the pouch didn't activate. I couldn't get the pump to kick it off. Save your money and get a kegging system. You'll use it for years and years, guaranteed.

My wife just got me a pig, and was wondering something. Assuming everyone else bottles what won't fit into the pig, how much priming sugar should you use for the bottling bucket? Should i guess about 1/2 (2 oz) of priming sugar since roughly 1/2 of a 5 gallon batch is going to go into the pig. I know there is a certain amount to put into the pig, so i assume you can't add the full 4oz to a bottling bucket, then split the batch between bottles and pig, or am i wrong. I am going to be getting my first batch bottled this weekend and was really wondering how to do this, any help would be great!

I have a couple pigs that I use.
First the cost difference is not the big between the 0.70x3 and the pig pouches when you consider a pig is larger. It takes 3 Tap-A-Draft bottles to hold a 5gal batch but only 2 pigs. The pouches are a little over priced at about $4.50 but it is reasonable.

Second to prime I usually figure to use 1/2 the amount you would use if bottling. My solution has been to cut the total sugar by 3/4 and dissolve it in boiling water. Then I put 1/3 of the solution in the pig and the other 2/3 in the bottling bucket. It makes for a couple simple calcs and saves you from needing two different priming solutions. Because the pouch provides a constant pressure to the beer the exact amount of priming solution in the pig is not that important, the pouch ends up determining the carbonation level.

Pigs are nice because you can easily fit them in your current fridge, they even fit in most mini fridges. I'd rather have a full kegging system but that would require about $500 for the fridge or freezer and kegging setup and space for another fridge. Until I can budget the funds I will use my pigs to supplement the bottles.

Craig

Here and another easy way. You can use 1/2 the normal amount of corn sugar on the pig and use carb tabs on the bottles. If you have pre-measured sugar save it for the next pig.

I would mix all of the sugar and all of the beer in the bottling bucket. Then fill your pig and bottle as usual from the bucket. No chance on miscalculation that way.

cheezydemon said:
I would mix all of the sugar and all of the beer in the bottling bucket. Then fill your pig and bottle as usual from the bucket. No chance on miscalculation that way.

I don't think he can do that. The carb rate of the pig is different. If you use the same amount you will have flat beer in bottles or super foamy beer from the pig.

CBBaron said:
My solution has been to cut the total sugar by 3/4 and dissolve it in boiling water. Then I put 1/3 of the solution in the pig and the other 2/3 in the bottling bucket.
Craig

After further thought. This sounds the easiest. Boil all of the sugar. Put it a sanitized glass quart measuring cup and do the 1/3 & 2/3 thing.

1/3 in the pig two thirds in the pail. Syphon to both.

I did this in a spreadsheet.

Batch 5 gal
Bottle Amount 2.87 gal
Pig size 2.13 gal

Bottle Carbing 1 oz/gal (Typical)
Pig Carbing 0.5 oz/gal

Sugar
Bottles 2.87 oz
Pig 1.07 oz
Total Required 3.94 oz

79% of a 5oz pack

cool, thanks for the help! I figured I would go by the pig instructions, and then calculate how much for the beer i have left, thanks for the input though!

I just filled my pig tonight and am a little concerned. The instructions weren't clear, but i assumed i had to prime the pouch as soon as i got the beer into it. Now it is filled to the top with the unconditioned beer and the pouch. Will this cause a problem when the beer starts to condition. My understanding is the carbonation happens due to the mini-fermentation that goes on when the left over yeast reacts to the priming sugar. With no more room to expand, will this cause a problem with a PIG BOMB, or will it not really expand and just carbonate? I really don't want 2 gallons of my very first batch of beer soaking into my hard wood floors. If someone with experience with a pig help me out I would appreciate it!

I'm not 100% certain. But I think you are OK. Recaping what you did;
- primed w/ sugar
- filled pig
- activated pouch
- blead air out until beer comes from tap. (while vertical)

You should not have a bomb is you used the correct sugar as listed and purged out the air. Even at 1oz/gal (bottling amount) it should be alright. The problem would be if you used this much sugar is that it would be over carbed and hard to pour a glass w/o getting 90% foam.

If you used the correct amount of sugar and blead the air out it will be ok. Letting the air out makes sure its not going to get oxidized.

FYI - PET is pretty strong its hard to get bottle bombs. I've heard of people screwing around with them on a compressor and a tire valve. They explode at 85psi. Your beer should be in the 14psi area if not less. RDWHAHB.

:mug:

Thanks, after reading ALL of the instructions, i came to the conclusion that it should be Ok, thanks again though!

You filled and primed your pig correctly. The plastic will get as hard as a rock as it carbs but there is plenty of expansion room. The pack will continue to expand as you empty the beer.

BTW, on the first pour it will be really hard to push the button in. This is normal.

No problems, that is exactly what you are supposed to do. What will happen is that the pouch will compress as the pressure from CO2 in the beer increases. After your first pint the carbonation/pressure in the pig is controlled more by the chemical reaction in the pouch than the CO2 pressure from the beer. This means you will have a constant carbonation as you drain the pig. I have found that the carbonation is a little low for many American styles but it is great for stouts and English styles. It is possible that at a warmer temperature the pressure would be a little higher but I don't have a temp controller so my beer stays at fridge temp until I pour one.

Craig

Back