Help!!! I've Been Robbed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james3

Reaction score
this has got to be one of the most horrible weekends ever! to start with, i woke up friday morning to discover that my equipment had been stolen! i put so much time and money into setting it all up. they got my HLT, my mash tun, and my boil kettle (all kegs w/ lots of upgrades). They're probably at the scrap yard by now along w/ all the other copper and stainless steel that was on my porch :mad: . To top it all off with, i lost my wallet the same day so i couldn't even be upset about my equipment cause i was worried about that.

BUT, things are starting to look up! i got my wallet back w/ everything in it, so now i'm focused on getting revenge on whoever jacked my equipment. this is where you guys come in! here is my plan (any suggestions would be appreciated):

i'm going to put another keg as bait on my porch (chained somehow so they can't see) and hook up a car battery or something to it :rockin: . i want whoever did this or tries to steel from me to suffer!! i don't want to put them in the hospital, but i want it to hurt and i want them to think twice about stealing from me again! so... should i use something more powerful, less powerful?!? PLEASE HELP!!!

-james

james3 said:
i'm going to put another keg as bait on my porch (chained somehow so they can't see) and hook up a car battery or something to it :rockin: . i want whoever did this or tries to steel from me to suffer!! i don't want to put them in the hospital, but i want it to hurt and i want them to think twice about stealing from me again! so... should i use something more powerful, less powerful?!? PLEASE HELP!!!
A car battery alone won't do anything without a more complex circuit that I won't describe here. Nor will I describe how to hook your keg up to anything else intended to hurt someone - if the thief is determined, he'll get your keg AND win a court case against you because you had a reasonable expectation of causing harm to him.

Here's a better idea:
Set another keg outside and hook up a security camera (they make software to use a webcam as one). You'll have to be sure there's enough light to capture a clear image or use a low light camera. Make the keg a little difficult to steal by either filling it with water or chaining it down - that way you'll get max footage of the idiot trying to take it. Take the footage to the cops.

If the local cops are really bored, you can work with them to stake out your house the night you set the keg outside. That way, you won't need the camera.

Swan makes a small camera( color, low light, wireless, 9 volt battery) you can plug the reciever into VCR's RC jacks. Great anywhere surveillance. Sold at Radio Shack, about a $100.

Just be glad they didn't get anything else. I've been robbed for real, and let me tell you...when you go out to your car in the morning and see the window smashed in and all your stuff gone (I was moving and had all my vital stuff, like my palm, satellite radio, and personal records in the car)...you feel pretty violated. That kinda sucks about the upgraded kegs....they're not easy to find, nor cheap to modify.

thanks for the info! glad i didn't go that route, but i'll probably set up some kind of camera like yuri and gnome suggested!

One more thing...

I couldn't find any federal law about booby traps, but setting a booby trap is a felony offense in most states. You don't want to mess with that sort of thing. There is even legal precedence for trespassers winning cases against property owners who have set traps, see Katko v. Briney.

EDIT:
Nevermind...I posted this before I saw your response above.

security cameras and delaying the thief is your best bet... most likely the thief was probably some teenager or someone who has seen your equipment out there before...

check craigslist for the stuff to pop up for sale.... call local strap yards to notify them about it, and inform the police.

the thief will most likely be someone close by and not as random as you think... most thiefs don't go very far either.

i suggest taking some small measures to protect you and your stuff...

here's some things you can do as a deterrent:
  • automatic lights/motion lights - you can pick these up almost anywhere, Wally World, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, set these lights up so that they shine light covering the most ground you can cover
  • Locks and Chains - also can be picked up anywhere, these should be used to slow the thief down, anything that makes for a not so smooth steal is going to either just leave the stuff behind, or if they are young and stupid, spend a crapload of time trying to get it apart and most likely being caught
  • Surveillance Cameras - Most places carry small cheap cameras that at least provide a sense of comfort and piece of mind

IF worse comes to worse, i'd contact a security and alarm company to come out and quote you for an entire system.

I seriously doubt the thief will come back, so I wouldn't waste time and money on booby traps and cameras. Instead, I'd make my future setup a little more secure or locked up. Unless he's really stupid, he's not going to come back to the same place for a keg when 1) he already got all the cool stuff, and 2) he knows you'll be watching for him now.

NitrouStang96 said:
I seriously doubt the thief will come back, so I wouldn't waste time and money on booby traps and cameras. Instead, I'd make my future setup a little more secure or locked up. Unless he's really stupid, he's not going to come back to the same place for a keg when 1) he already got all the cool stuff, and 2) he knows you'll be watching for him now.

+1 but I would think to at least invest in some form of security, from the sounds of it, the OP doesn't have any security measures at all, even just motion lighting which can be enough to throw off any thief.

I would crawl over the local scrap yards. That's where it all ended up. First, though, I'd file a police report. Describe your items to the very last detail, then if you happen to find it in a scrap yard, you have a leg to stand on when requesting it back.

I'd not do the booby-trap shock method. This time he got your homebrew equipment. With a booby trap, next time he could get your car, house, cash -- even if you were to win in court you'll be paying through the nose for legal fees.

Best is to make the new equipment more secure. Believe me, having had a computer stolen, I know how ya feel, but I think you'll regret setting any sort of booby trap.

Rick

james3 said:
this has got to be one of the most horrible weekends ever! to start with, i woke up friday morning to discover that my equipment had been stolen! i put so much time and money into setting it all up. they got my HLT, my mash tun, and my boil kettle (all kegs w/ lots of upgrades). They're probably at the scrap yard by now along w/ all the other copper and stainless steel that was on my porch :mad: . To top it all off with, i lost my wallet the same day so i couldn't even be upset about my equipment cause i was worried about that.

BUT, things are starting to look up! i got my wallet back w/ everything in it, so now i'm focused on getting revenge on whoever jacked my equipment. this is where you guys come in! here is my plan (any suggestions would be appreciated):

-james

Why not call the recycling centers and see if this stuff has turned up?

I bet if you put a keg out there in broad daylight they will steal it again. I have a survailence system on my house and would set bicycles out and other things out and they would wind up missing. Now I just forward the photos to the cops and so far I have had %100 recovery. What prompted me to put it in was because some one stole $1200 worth of trees from me.

I would set up a keg and one of those game camera rigs. I bet with in a week you will get someone.

How about we, as a community, get together and take care of this brother in need? I myself am willing to pledge $50.00 to get him back onto the brew bench. Anyone else want to help this guy out?

Dr Vorlauf said:
Bad idea. What happens if the shock kills them? I understand that you are pissed but you could end up killing someone.

If the shock kills them drag them inside and shoot them and that way there is no lawsuit against you:)

I hate to here about things like this, but this is the sad world we live in

I would put posters up at the local shops and maybe even an advert in the local paper.

REWARD!! $100 (or whatever)
with a description and your phone number
"No questions asked"

I would rather pay 1/4 or even 1/2 of what it would cost to replace it, rather than go through the cost and headaches of trying to rebuild it all.

Nothing wrong with asking some questions if it does show up again. I would pay the person whatever the reward was, then say "Can I ask where you found this? I would also have a mate or a family member take some photos of the transaction taking place and try to get the license plate number, then give all of that info to the cops. Even if you didn't get your reward money back, at least you got your stuff back at a bargain price, and maybe catch the rat bastard thief!

PeteOz77 said:
I would put posters up at the local shops and maybe even an advert in the local paper.

"No questions asked"

I would rather pay 1/4 or even 1/2 of what it would cost to replace it, rather than go through the cost and headaches of trying to rebuild it all.

Nothing wrong with asking some questions if it does show up again. I would pay the person whatever the reward was, then say "Can I ask where you found this? I would also have a mate or a family member take some photos of the transaction taking place and try to get the license plate number, then give all of that info to the cops. Even if you didn't get your reward money back, at least you got your stuff back at a bargain price, and maybe catch the rat bastard thief!
This has my vote for best idea yet!

My suggestion......have your wife fill the keg with lots of chocolate goodness and set it outside. Then try not to laugh when the theif attempts to run off with the keg only to have his ass beat down by your wife! LOL No man can separate a woman from her chocolate. Guard dog? Hah! Guard wife!

PeteOz77 said:

"No questions asked"

I am sure these guys just sold it for scrap

FairWeatherSmoker said:
A big rotwieller on your porch will generally deter. So will a yappy little dog. Make too much noise :)
my neighbors have three yappy little dogs who bark like crazy if they see someone, but unfortunately they were inside that night (because of the weather)! oh well... i've learned my lesson and won't be so careless w/ my things next time.

by the way, thanks for all the suggestions, etc., etc., etc.

If you are going to go to the police, I would take a little time to consider the source of the kegs in the first place. Some of the craigslist kegs are of questionable legality. I wouldn't want the situation to get any worse. Just sayin'.

Cheers,

that's why i haven't gone to the police. i bought one from someone who had the keg shell for a while, i got another from keeping the keg and forfeiting the deposit, and the last one i got i bought from the owner of a package store by just paying the deposit for it.

Sorry for your loss... But I gotta side with these guys. Those kegs weren't truly yours in the first place. Still sucks big time.

Gnome said:
I know who got your equipment...............Karma
02fg.jpg

ahh... well this time i'd invest in some kegs the right way, build up a nice setup and make them secure and in a spot where you can easily see them from inside or just make sure to lock them up inside.

Back