Shouldnt it be growing or green by now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Two of the three have broken ground and started climbing the third not so much

image-133454646.jpg

Attachments

• image-1807796025.jpg
    image-1807796025.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 278
If you want a reasonably informed response, you need to provide a clue where you are.

Otherwise...Right now my 15 crowns are buried under four inches of leaf mulch, and we still have some snow on the property.

So, nothing showing at all. Which is right for these parts...

Cheers!

They were green with shoots when planted but then had a good bit of rain and some cold. The shoots wilted away. Still seems to be rooted in well just brown and dormant or dead looking. The other two look good

The green was most likely left over from last season.

Give 'em time, I went 14 for 15 on my first year rhizomes by just being patient...

Cheers!

So first year plants don't do much?

You can end up with enough to do some all-home-grown brews.

This was the first of two first-year harvests. Second was two weeks later and was about two-thirds the wet-weight shown here. In total I had enough to do a half-dozen 5 gallon batches.
ab_aug_26_2011_07_sm.jpg

Eight of those fifteen plants back in 2011.
ab_aug_26_2011_01_sm.jpg

This was last fall, first of two harvests (again, second was about two thirds of the first). I ended up with a freezer filled with dried cones! I've used about a quarter of them and barely made a dent...
hops_05aug2012_03.jpg

Cheers!

So what should I do with these plants? I guess I gotta build a support structure for them or can a string chain or rope attached to the house do?

You definitely need some way, no matter how sophisticated or primitive, to hang vertical (or nearly so) coarse drops that the bines can successfully climb. Unlike vines, these bines have no significant tendrils, relying entirely on an almost velcro-like array of tiny hook-like spines to hold on to anything.

So using stuff like wire or monofilaments usually are non-starters for drops. What you want is on the other end of the coarseness scale. Sisal twine (aka bailing twine) and coir (<= what use) are two of the best.

You can hang drops from pretty much any suspension line material that can carry the prospective load. If you allow up to 20 pounds worst-case per mature crown and factor that in to suspension line rating, then you just need to assure that the end points of a suspension line will stay put.

fwiw, I use 5/16" multistrand nylon for my suspension lines as it's durable, wicked cheap, and can carry the up to ~200 pounds 11 harvest-ready crowns might impose (one side - the other side has my other four crowns, though I use the same type line). The ends pass through eyebolts at the top of 10' 2x4 risers I erect during hop growing season on top of my 2nd story deck, then are tied off to cleats mounted on the risers around elbow height.

There's enough slack in the suspension lines to let me untie from the cleats and lower it down to easy reach, handy for harvesting!

Cheers!

[edit] You can see one of the risers at the far end of this shot - and a "prop" I had to stick in the middle of the suspension line mid-season to take most of the sag out of the 40' line.
hops_13july2012_05.jpg

Back