massive blowoff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbruce

Reaction score
So, this is my second brew. A stout OG @ 1.080 as intended, made a 2 L starter with 1098. Lots of activity within even 3 hours...great sign! I'm getting excited.
Then this morning the Krausen blew the side of the lid off my 30L fermenting bucket and formed all over. Again very excited ( happy yeasties! ) cleaned the floor and sides and secured lid and about 20 minutes later...pop! Did it again lol the airlock is indeed working just not fast enough for it..secured again and now (about 15 minutes later) I can see the lid wanting to pop again... Like I said..the airlock is indeed bubbling but there is some bits from the krausen blowout possibly hindering it?
I have a new clean airlock..would it be bad to try and quickly change it out for a new one clean one?
Also I have ready somewhere that this happens when fermentation peaks..is this true?

Maybe sanitize some equipment and try to remove some foam to prevent potential airlock clogging again?

If you have to setup to do a blow off tube then use that. If you don't then you could also just set the lid on. Don't snap it down. Just let it set there for a few hours till fermentation slows a bit

You can swap that airlock for a new one, but the same thing is probably going to happen again. You really need a blow-off tube. You can make one easily by putting a piece of tubing over the inner stem of a 3-piece airlock and the other end in a bucket or jug of sanitizer. But if you don't have the stuff lying around to cobble together a blow-off tube, you can just take the lid off the fermenter and cover it with some sanitized aluminum foil until things calm down- the CO2 coming off of there will protect it from any nasties that might be floating around, so it doesn't need to be airtight.

Sounds like you have a great fermentation going. Congrats! :mug:

I second leaving the lid loose while fermantation peaks then snap lid back on when it slows down .

Thanks for the speedy replies!
I don't have the equipment on hand to do the blow off tube...didn't think I would need it with as much headroom as I would have in the bucket.
So i'll just pop the lid and leave it on bucket until it slows, keep an eye on it, then re secure it

Latest posts

Back