Is this rust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerguyNC61

Reaction score
Newbie to Keg conversions and one of the kegs I took the top off of today has a lot of rust looking color on the bottom. The pictures are below, is it rust or just gunk? Would it rust on the inside if all it has was beer in it? Sorry if these are silly questions but it's all new to me...

Thanks
S

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Is that really a clean area in the middle of the keg or is that an illusion? If it is clean it seems unlikely the stuff around it is rust...

Cheers!

If it is a stainless keg it wont rust at all.

Since you just cut it open, it's like just stale beer and sediment. soak it with some hot PBW for a couple hours and i bet you it will wipe right off

Cool! Thanks! Like I said I am a newbie at this so I wasnt sure.

Thanks

Living in NC but born and raised in CT......
My favorite response down here when being trashed for being a Yankee is....
"Hey who won the war?" :)

No worries man, that's why this place is here!

I've been to NC once, and man people were just too nice down there. Being a nor'easter it's easy to be jaded by a fast paced life and rude people, you don't even realize it until you see the other end of the spectrum.

I'm relatively recent to CT (a year ago) but i grew up just north of Boston in MA. No Yankee (fan) here! (i know geographically i'm a yankee, but i don't want to associate with that horrible conglomerate franchise)

Living in NC but born and raised in CT......
My favorite response down here when being trashed for being a Yankee is....
"Hey who won the war?" :)

Careful.... good way to get into fisticuffs...

There are some crazies out there on both sides even though that was 148 years ago!

If it is a stainless keg it wont rust at all.

Since you just cut it open, it's like just stale beer and sediment. soak it with some hot PBW for a couple hours and i bet you it will wipe right off

That is not quite true. Stainless can rust under certain circumstances. The resistance to rust is a thin "passivated" layer. Basically a layer of oxidized chromium. Things that will cause pin holes such as bleach, or some juices or scratch and scour away the surface layer will remove the rust protection.

That being said, I agree with everyone else that it is rust. The clean spot in the middle makes me think that sediment dried in spots where there was no fluid and where there was fluid (low spot) it never adhered. Plus I doubt any of those condition were present in this keg.

One of my kegs has rust in the top, fellow I got it from, cut the top with a torch, the splatter dried to the sides and rusted.

Yeah, a soak in PBW then a nice scrub with a plastic bristled brush/sponge should get you set right up.

Maybe even scrub it with some Barkeepers Friend afterwards.

Cheers from Durham (grew up near Greensboro though).

Back