The Value Of Re-Learning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
Okay, so...

As a "beginning" brewer, I learned I didn't like "The C Hops"... Cascade, Centennial...

My brewing schedules have, for the most part, been focused around avoiding these hop varieties because I KNEW I didn't like them.

Well, today I'm drinking my umpteenth liter of horribly inefficient Haus Pale Ale ("I couldn't have done it without her ale") and for the first time I notice very distinct grapefruit notes that are a bit jarring, but CERTAINLY interesting and pleasant.

Beers CERTAINLY improve with age. The flavours that we taste in the beginning change into something else totally. Having fallen to the urge to drink my first homebrews quickly, I've now come to appreciate Cascade hops and patience for aging my beers!

One of the hardest leasons for brewers to learn...Patience.

My strategy is to alternate low gravity, session beers which are ready quickly with higher gravity beers that will improve with age. That way I always have beer on hand to drink and am not tempted to raid beers before there time. Hop bitterness, flavour and aroma change markedly over time, and harsh or in-your-face flavours from whatever source will generally mellow out.

GT

My imperial stout had a slight banana flavour after 2 months or so. Fortunately this discouraged me from drinking it, because now, at 9 months, it is fantastic. No hint of banana.

Back