How long will wort keep in fridge sealed in a jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
I had two qt's of wort left over so I boiled it poured it into canning jars fresh from the dishwasher boiled flats and rings. Let it cool both sealed an I put them in the fridge. How long will it keep? I want to use it for starters.

Hey I use that for starters too... you can keep them for weeks. A little wort goes a long way. I boil and cool before using, then water down.

I use the 250ml@20, 500ml@20, 500ml@30-50 method. That is to say I water the first two starters down to gravity 1.020 and the last to about the same as the target gravity of the wort. Also you can add nutrients in starters that you might not want to add in the beer. Like zinc.

Edit: to be clear, you need the wort to be sterile and cool when you add the yeast to it. So even if things are growing in it while you store it in the fridge, boiling will take care of that.

I've done something similar and from my experience the cleaner/sanitized/sterilized your process and equipment is the longer it will keep. Remember unfermented wort is a breading ground for just yucky stuff so keep it clean and you can hang on to it for many weeks.

Hey I use that for starters too... you can keep them for weeks. A little wort goes a long way. I boil and cool before using, then water down.

I use the 250ml@20, 500ml@20, 500ml@30-50 method. That is to say I water the first two starters down to gravity 1.020 and the last to about the same as the target gravity of the wort. Also you can add nutrients in starters that you might not want to add in the beer. Like zinc.

Edit: to be clear, you need the wort to be sterile and cool when you add the yeast to it. So even if things are growing in it while you store it in the fridge, boiling will take care of that.

Is the water you use also boiled and cooled? Also, why all of the dilution and multiple steps? For a target gravity of 1.030-1.050, why not just go with a single 1.040 starter? 1.040 is the widely accepted starter gravity for most beers and has been shown to promote optimal yeast growth.

Seeing as how the lids sealed,they should be fine even unrefridgerated. That's what the seal on the lid is for. You just canned it.

Back