50lbs Dark DME by Mistake... need recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowderHoundMJ

Reaction score
I just had a mistake with Austin Homebrew, I opened my package to find 50 lbs of dark instead of light DME. They are willing to return it but it'd be $50 to ship it back (out of my pocket.)

Anybody have any great recipes to help eat up some of this dark extract. Have an Oatmeal Vanilla Stout in the primary now. Looking for a Java porter style coffee brew or anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks!

It's a good time to start brewing those dark, spiced holiday ales for christmas time.....

yeah I would do a RIS, big porter, big xmas ale with that. Need to get'em going so they have time to condition for the winter months.

if you have some stoutish/porter recipes that use chocolate malt and light DME
you can subtract 2oz of chocolate malt per lb of dark DME used and be close, at least with Muntons DME (the briess AHS sells is different but is in the same ballpark)

it stores forever, sub it in to dark recipes 1-3lbs at a time. don't make a RIS based wholely on dark DME, it will be a hard ferment.

I just had a mistake with Austin Homebrew, I opened my package to find 50 lbs of dark instead of light DME. They are willing to return it but it'd be $50 to ship it back (out of my pocket.)

Your mistake or theirs? If it was theirs, I would have them replace the LME and send you a pre-paid return receipt to send it back by the carrier of their choice.

If it was your mistake, I'd get some Light extract and use up the dark slowly in Stouts and Porters, a few lbs at a time.

Your mistake or theirs?

That depends on who you ask, I'm almost sure I didn't order it, but their invoice said dark. They're pinning it on me, there weren't even beers involved on my end.

Looks like a consensus is not to use a ton of Dark DME in any particular batch. I see recipes out there calling for as much as 10lbs for a 5 gal batch of heavy holiday spiced ales, seems like a lot to me. Especially iwth the ambiguity of the constituents of the DME. (It's Briess by the way)

Either way, this experience has finally tipped me to all grain (other than using up this bag.)

Back