Graham's English Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do well with fresh unpasteurized juice/cider from mills, but you have to remember: They are making their blends for drinking, not fermenting, so the benefits are somewhat limited.

Near me, I can actually get a carboy filled up for less than the cost per gallon of buying generic stuff, so I usually go that root.

Another big benefit in my eyes is you can allow some spontaneous fermentation to occur (with or without the aid of brewing yeast)--this gives it a better, more funky flavor IMO.

So, I have read all the posts in this thread, twice.

1) I will try this recipe as originally posted. It has very good reviews, not to mention every time I see that Aresnal glass by the window, I start drooling!
:rockin:

2) I live in an apple area, New York State, with about 6 orchards in my immediate area. I can get fresh pressed cider very cheap, cheaper than grocery store juice. If I bring my own container, I save even more money. Are there modifications to this recipe that work well, or is there a better recipe for this type of base apple cider/juice/liquid?

Thes thoughts are open to all! I'd love to be armed with your opinions!
(BTW... I quoted clevernonsense as the post spoke of this type of option)

I'm in!
One batch started today, as per original posted recipe!

Now, to wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed this recipe on 9/11/11. I primed with 1/4 c. brown sugar so it doesn't have too much fizz. I've only had a few bottles but it keeps getting better. This finished at 1.00 so it's not quite as dry as Apfelwein.

Anyone try this without the Yeast Nutrient? It just means it will take longer to get rid of the surfer smell and clear right?

I have all the stuff I need and I'm just missing the yeast nutrient. For yeast I plan to use either Nottingham or Lalvin K1-1116

Thoughts?

I beleave that you can use raises and plums as yeast nutrient. Boil & crush them up to make a past. Drain off the water and use only the water as your yeast nutrient.

Just started a batch with fresh pressed cider; hopped it with chinook. Smelled really incredibly tasty. Now - the long wait until it's drinkable.

A quick question about clearing while in secondary. I have 5 gallons bulk aging per the original recipe in this thread. It has been aging since 2/19 and only partially cleared. By that, I mean that a layer on top is clear with the majority (~75% or so) still cloudy. Should I leave in the secondary until the whole carboy clears? Or should I bottle after 3 months and let it bottle condition? Not sure which direction to go.

My first attempt at this Recipe and a Cider. I must say that I'm very impressed. I will certainly always have this brewing at all times.

Mine is not near as clear. I did use Nottingham. Here it is after a good two months from the Keg.

100_4662.jpg

A week ago, I racked my hopped half-batch into the secondary fermenter, and it's been clearing up at about 1/8" per day or so. Huzzah. Here's to it being drinkable.

I plan on making this next brew day, if not before, as I have a package of S-04 in the fridge, wanting to be used for something. It'll give me a good excuse to use one of three new 5-gallon carboys as well.

I'm about 3.5 weeks into a test batch. Besides a film over the top which is apparently normal for using Nottingham in a cider, it appears to be clear down to the bottom. I subbed in lemon juice (half a tablespoon) and used 2 tea bags in ~2 gallons, along with Nottingham. It tasted pretty good, though I trust it will improve with age. It finished at 1.002 as advertised, and I am considering trying to bump up the FG just a bit and pasteurize, though it's probably not worth it for a couple of points (which is all I'd want). I did notice it was a bit more tart that something like apfelwein, but I didn't notice any effect from the tea. I may try adding a little more to the next batch (which should start soon).

I just started a batch using 4.5 gallons of Nature's Nectar 100% apple juice with an extra lime. Used Benner Classic Blend Orange Pekoe adn Peooe CUt Black Tea from Aldi. I'll let you know how it goes. Very excited to try this!!! Otherwise I followed the recipe.

Would love to make this, but my place is usually cooled to the mid 70's and I don't have a 2nd fridge yet for such recipes. :(

Hi,

I am very new to the world of home brewing, but after many years drinking cider I've decided to try and brew some myself... ;)

I saw this recipe and started a 9L (2.38 US gallons) batch based on it, using the following.

Aldi cloudy apple juice (Not from concentrate, pasteurised)
Juice from half a regular lime
SN9 champaign yeast
Brewers sugar
2 * Lipton's Breakfast tea bags

also added yeast nutrient.

The OG was 1.060, and for about 24hrs nothing happened, then on the second day it started to ferment like CRAZY producing a lovely fruity smell, this continued for two days and then slowed down and by the fifth day there was no airlock activity at all.

I measured the FG and it has remained at 1.015 for 4 days, at this time it tastes of apple with noticeable citrus element, looks a little hazy (perhaps due to my use of cloudy apple juice..... OOPS) and smells slightly of sulphur inside fermenter bucket.

Question.....

is five days for primary fermentation correct, and should I expect a lower FG ?

Thanks for any help

Pitched this last december and finally got off my ass and transferred to secondary.... delicious. Very light, refreshing and smooth as silk, even without gas. It will end up being a repeat. Not to mention its 6.8abv.... total girlfriend slayer. :cross:

Do you think this will work at 75 degrees? I know notty and other ale yeasts are optimal lower, but can work up to 80. Just made UpstateMike's caramel apple cider with notty around 75 and that seemed to work. I'm looking for something not as dry as my last batch of Apfelwein which is too whiny, though still young, for my taste.

Just bought the makings for this. I want to compare it to apfelwein and see the difference. Also picked up a new carboy for it. I'm looking forward to letting it go the full three months by leaving it at my parents' house so I don't get tempted to.bottle it early. Now to see if I can fond key limes! Is there much of a difference from regular limes?

Key limes, lemons, regular limes, all seem pretty much the same to me in all batches I've tried. Just some acid.

It should be drinkable far faster than apfelwein imo.

I'd go lower than 75 if you can do it; I've had some terrible ciders or ciders that needed far longer aging than the norm due to high fermentation temps.

bpm2000 said:
Key limes, lemons, regular limes, all seem pretty much the same to me in all batches I've tried. Just some acid.

It should be drinkable far faster than apfelwein imo.

I'd go lower than 75 if you can do it; I've had some terrible ciders or ciders that needed far longer aging than the norm due to high fermentation temps.

Ok. Thanks. If upstate mike doesn't have his kiss 2.0 recipe ready soon, I will make this.

Just pitched the yeast into my first batch of this recipe. Followed it exactly, even with the apple juice brand. Now I just need to wait it out and stay with the described schedule. Probably easier said than done.

Usually use tree top, but which walmart juice would be better? No sugar added or regular? One has maltodextrin.

ForumRunner_20120825_080056.jpg

ForumRunner_20120825_080128.jpg

The maltodextrin may throw off your FG, since it's unfermentable (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't looked too much into the ingredients, but I've been using mostly Old Orchard juices for my ciders, and the juice blend (cran-apple, apple blueberry pomegranate) have all finished at at 1.008 down from 1.07 (by simple sugar addition), and I'm guessing it's from maltodextrin or some other sort of unfermentable sweetener.

Thats 0.56-3.78oz priming sugar for a 5gal batch. Personally I'd prefer the be on the upper end of that range, or even a little higher wouldn't be bad in my opinion.

Hey all. Just made a five gallon batch. Here are a few pics of the brew. Hoping the residual foam from the starsan won't hurt it as I've read, "don't fear the foam" many times on these forums. A little bit of lime pulp got in there too. I will keep you posted.

ForumRunner_20120828_200405.jpg

ForumRunner_20120828_200434.jpg

ForumRunner_20120828_200501.jpg

ForumRunner_20120828_200525.jpg

ForumRunner_20120828_200552.jpg

Should the krausen look like this after about two weeks? Never used s04 before .

ForumRunner_20120910_175748.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_175806.jpg

first class recipe i will be giving this a go . has i am the other side of the pond to you i think your recipe is good . i hope it is not like strongbow over here it is not rated that good . i do brew wine but cider is my main interest and your recipe is good and basic . thanks

hi i might try adding a couple of mugs of raisins and some more sugar just to push it up a bit maybe to 7% i have got some that is at 10.6% put after that i think it becomes a wine .

I'm actually really excited about this. I made a batch using Motts (OG 1.050 after 1 lime and tea as dictated). Used Nottingham. When I opened my primary, I thought I'd messed it up - it was already clearing, one month to the day after pitch, and had these beautiful silky lees on the bottom that I couldn't see until I was done racking. So I racked it and topped it off with another ~1g of juice (still motts), took a gravity and tasted it. The gravity at topping-off was 1.020 (I didn't get one before I racked, stupid me) and it tasted a LOT like strongbow.

Just saying, if anyone's really game to experiment there's certainly room there.

Just racked to the secondary today. Smelled nice!

+ 5 gallons. Made as written, except pitched on S04 cake left over from graff. Just finished reading entire thread, have to go buy a bomber of cider now.

Just pitched US-05 instead of S-04 in a five gallon batch of this. I have an aunt who lived in England for about a decade that I am brewing this for.

Racked to secondary today after month in primary. Hydro sample showed just under 1.01. Tasted great, as did the other jar I pulled off. Not clear yet, buy I really was surprised by how good it was. Way better than the sweet store bought types.

I just started a batch using 4.5 gallons of Nature's Nectar 100% apple juice with an extra lime. Used Benner Classic Blend Orange Pekoe adn Peooe CUt Black Tea from Aldi. I'll let you know how it goes. Very excited to try this!!! Otherwise I followed the recipe.

So I pretty much followed the recipe (pitched yeast on 8-1-12), except that I added an extra lime. Two regular limes. I see why the recipe called for only one!!!

I have been periodically tasting the batch as the sulfery essence went away. I ended up with a too-tart too-citrus batch that was way too limey to drink.

I remedied that today. I took 3 pounds of honey (also Aldi) and reduced it to about 1.5 pounds on the cooktop, acheiving a bit of burnt flavor. I added enough apple juice so that it would not harden, and added about half of it to the carboy. I then bottled the batch, and am monitoring a single plastic bottle to see when to refrigerate or pastuerize the others. I'll decide which tomorrow. FG (before honey addition) was 1.001.

I'll try the recipe again with less lime and will use . But this first batch was great. Freezeblade, thanks for the recipe!!!

Just tasted my batch made 8/31. Pretty good. Still needs a little more time I think, but I suppose I can bottle soon. Is a month to carbonate correct? Other batches I've done take a week.

If I were to enter this in a competition, what style would it fall under? I am not familiar with the different styles of cider.

Back