Sunday IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1056 American Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 days @ 68 deg F
Additional Fermentation
dry hopped for 10 days before bottling w/ 2oz Centennial
Tasting Notes
Crispy and dry, Big hop scent, citrus / earthy hop flavor - a great session IPA
Grains / Fermentables:
8.0# Marris Otter
1.0# Crystal Malt 20L
0.5# Cara-Pils

Single infusion mash: 60 min @ 151.0 deg F (Bring 11.90 (12qt) water to 163.0 deg F to achieve mash temp - equals 1.25 water / grain ratio)

Sparge: 3.90gal water @ 168.0 deg F

60 minute full boil (added 1tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min)

Hop Scedule:
[60] - 1.00oz Chinook 46.2 IBU
[15] - 0.50oz Centennial 8.8 IBU
[12] - 0.50oz Centennial 7.4 IBU
[09] - 0.50oz Amarillo 5.0 IBU
[09] - 0.25oz Cascade 1.6 IBU
[06] - 0.50oz Centennial 4.2 IBU
[06] - 0.25oz Cascade 1.1 IBU
[03] - 0.50oz Centennial 2.2 IBU
[03] - 0.25oz Cascade 0.6 IBU
[01] - 0.50oz Amarillo 0.7 IBU
[01] - 0.25oz Cascade 0.2 IBU

Cooled quickly down to 68 deg F, heavily aerated, yeast was pitched without a starter

Left in primary for 2 months, I imagine 4/5 weeks + 10 days for the dry hop would suffice just fine.

10 days before bottling, dry hop with 2oz Centennial. Note: I left my beer in primary the entire time, including the dry hop. If you wish to rack the beer off the yeast cake for the dry hop, go for it.

Priming solution: 3/4 cup dextrose with 2 cups water brought to a boil, pour into your bottling bucket and rack directly on top of it

Final product was a great tasting IPA that delivers the hops but doesn't knock you on your butt, final ABV was roughly 5% flat, maybe a hair over. It has a great crispy almost refreshing taste to it, great hop smack to your pallet that gets a cleanser from the late additions, big BIG nose to it from the Centennial. This is my typical IPA, one addition up front, everything else goes in the last 15 minutes - It turned out great so I thought I'd share this one. I'll post a picture tonight.

If anyone goes for it, please post back. Cheers! :mug:

2012-01-22134943.jpg

From your description, this sounds like it could be my next favorite beer! If you had to compare it to a popular IPA, what would it be? I don't have much experience homebrewing yet but I'd love to give yours a try. I bottled my first batch last Saturday (the "Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale" from my LHBS). It tasted pretty yummy before bottling, but I won't really know for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I'm definitely interested in trying this out and I'll let you know when I do. Thanks!

It holds similarities to New Belgium's Ranger IPA, probably the closest beer I could think of to the flavor. Similar base and specialty malts, bittered with chinook, uses cascade. I think they use Simcoe though, I'm a sucker for centennial but you can blame Two Hearted Ale for that.

You could go extract with this to make it easier if you wanted (being your second batch didn't know if you're AG or extract brewing). Just crush and steep your specialty malts in a gallon of water @ 151 deg F for 30-45 minutes, discard your grains and add the water to the brewpot. Sub the Otter for 5.25# Extra light DME, get your boil going and follow the recipe from there as is - top off in your bucket as needed till you're at 5 gallons.

Post back if you brew!

Just got back from the LHBS with my ingredients to brew this batch. I love New Belgiums Ranger and I'm excited to see how this turns out. I've been doing partial mashes with BIAB to slowly step my way in to all grains, so I altered your recipe slightly.

Fermentables

4# Marris Otter
1# Crystal 10L (They were all out of 20)
.5# Cara-Pils
4# Extry Ligth DME (Might be a little high for DME, but my efficiency is pretty crappy with the BIAB)

I also had to substitue Centennial for Amarillo hops since my LHBS is out of Amarillo for the season.

So in the end this might not be anything like your Sunday IPA, but you have definately given me something to work with. Thanks, and I'll keep you posted on how it turns out :mug:.

It will be pretty close, centennial is the total shiz so I have total faith you are brewing up a batch of delish.

Have a great brew day bud, post back your results.

Cheers

Brewin it now, just started the boil. Man Texas summer nights are noisy. Can barely hear myself think with all these criquets. Guess I'll just need another home brew to relax.

Just pitched my yeast. Smells amazing, OG was at 1.05 which I think will hopefully make it about a 4.5 to 5 ABV like yours.

This was the first batch I used a wort chiller on. Just finished making my copper wort chiller and recycled water with a pond pump I had. This was the first time I pitched my yeast below 80 degrees (it was at 73). I was also able to hit that temp in probably a 4th the time as an ice bath for the whole 5 gal boil! I was stoked! :mug: and possible a little tipsy from brewing :tank:

I really enjoyed this beer, I finished the keg about a month ago. It didn't have the citrusy pop that I get from ranger, but pretty sure that was from my hop substitution. I will definitely try again when Amarillo is back in season.

Also I should be moving to all grain next month so I'm excited to try this recipe again. Thanks again for the post:mug:.

Latest posts

Back