Quick carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
Hello

I kegged my first beer (stout) four days ago and was wondering when I should try it. I have the psi set to around 5-6 and wasnt sure if I should lower it. I was also wondering if you have to keep the disconnect on the keg once you try or if you can take it off

Thanks

I hope the keg was carbed up before you set it at 5 psi because it ain't going to be very carbed at that pressure. You can take the lines off if you want. Set it at 10 psi if it is in the fridge unless you prefer low carbonation.

And don't try it for at least 2 weeks, because it won't taste done.

I connect my gas to the beer out post, set my reg to about the same pressures you're talking about (140kPa / 6psi) and rock the keg about vigorously. Just like shaking a bottle of coke lets the pressure out in a low pressure environment, this lets the gas in in a high pressure environment. You will hear the gas 'singing' as it goes in. After about 10 or so minutes you're done - don't forget swap your disconnects back.

This is a useful technique to have in your arsenal in case you need to carb up a keg at short notice for a party. As I usually end up carbing this way anyway, I have threaded disconnects rather than barbs to make swapping them over easy to do for gassing though the liquid post.

voodoophil said:
I connect my gas to the beer out post, set my reg to about the same pressures you're talking about (140kPa / 6psi) and rock the keg about vigorously. Just like shaking a bottle of coke lets the pressure out in a low pressure environment, this lets the gas in in a high pressure environment. You will hear the gas 'singing' as it goes in. After about 10 or so minutes you're done - don't forget swap your disconnects back.

This is a useful technique to have in your arsenal in case you need to carb up a keg at short notice for a party. As I usually end up carbing this way anyway, I have threaded disconnects rather than barbs to make swapping them over easy to do for gassing though the liquid post.

Does gassing through liquid just absorb faster? Ive not heard this before

I think it's the fact that it moves up through the beer so that there is more surface area of beer touching co2 as it rises.

No, it doesn't. It would if you had a "carbonation stone", though- a diffusion stone that would make the bubbles smaller so that it would carbonate the beer faster.

Here's a nice carbonation chart to help you decide what psi you should set your beer at: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I keep mine at 12 psi at 40 degrees for almost all of my beers.

Yooper said:
No, it doesn't. It would if you had a "carbonation stone", though- a diffusion stone that would make the bubbles smaller so that it would carbonate the beer faster.

Here's a nice carbonation chart to help you decide what psi you should set your beer at: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I keep mine at 12 psi at 40 degrees for almost all of my beers.

Thanks!

Back