Metallic/harsh taste to force carbed Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrouch

Reaction score
Keg virgin here. I put my first keg on 30 psi and shook for 5 minutes. Then took it off and let it sit overnight. Then released pressure and put 10 psi on it. 12 hours later, the beer comes out about 2/3rds foam and has a very metallic/harsh taste. I saw this mentioned as a possible side effect of burst carbing, but I'm not sure how or if it can be fixed.

Suggestions?

i second there being no substitute for time.

letting it equilize at 10 psi will correct it. you may need to vent the pressure periodically.

I had a metallic taste on first use of a used keg. It was very noticable at first and subsided after about 2 weeks of drinking off of it. Not sure the cause but maybe yours will die down as mine did.

How did you clean/sanitize the keg prior to using?

If I remember correctly, co2 has a metallic taste to it. Your abundance of carbonation would support this. Reduce your psi, and your metallic taste should go away.

Carbonic acid is produced when burst carbing... that's the "bite" you're experiencing. Give it a little time and it naturally dissipates.

One of the reasons I don't force carbonate any more. It takes time for the beer to adjust to the pH change, no way around that.

Don't overlook the obvious: if you don't crash cool before kegging, it becomes very likely that there will be some yeast bite in the first couple of pours. Some folks describe that as both harsh and metallic...

Cheers!

Actually, the more I taste it, it's more astringent/ashtray-like. But it's subsiding. Should be in good shape by Friday. Which is perfect timing since I've got all next week off!

Thanks for the input.

Back