Amber Ale suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
I have a pretty solid amber ale that I have brewed a few times and I am looking to change it up a touch. Earlier this year I visited the 21st Amendment Brewery and had their Roasted American Amber Ale. It was a very good tasting amber with a roasty taste to it. I am trying to guess as to what type of grain that might have been.

Anyone tried the beer or have a guess as to what grain I could add to get that effect? I was thinking roasted barley? I don't want the roast to dominate the beer just add a little depth to it.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I've not had it so can't guess. But I wonder if its really roastiness (like coffee) that you're tasting, or rather something closer to toast. You could toast some malt in the oven and see if that gives you the flavor you're looking for.

I am not the best at describing what I taste in a beer, but to me it seemed to be roasty, and not bread like (toast) that much. I hope someone here has tried it before. Thanks for your reply!!

Often Irish red ales have a tiny (~2 oz. ?) amount of chocolate malt, black patent, or roasted barley in them for color and just a touch of roasty flavor.

I am hoping one of the west coasters on the board has had the roasted american, and can't take a stab at what might give this beer its roastiness. I think it is just something they serve in their brewpub.

I tried emailing them awhile back and got no response, I was kinda bummed I got nothing from them...

Back