Getting rid of that extract tang!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for almost one year.... I don't have the room- equipment for all grain brewing at my current residence, but I do pm and mini mash. So as you know I always have to use DME or LME to finish my recipe's. With every brew I have done I notice that little but of tang... It doesn't matter if it is dry or liquid, still the same thing. I hear about folks adding the extract later in the boil. Will this really make a difference, or am I doomed until I have the ability to do all grain!

I never noticed this so called "tang" I think it may just be Newbies rushing a batch and drinking green beer. I do ag now but still do an occasianal extract batch and I don't notice any flavors that don't belong after proper fermentation and long enough conditioning time.

If you're using tap water for your brewing, it may have excessive chlorine/chloramine or excessive ion content that is affecting flavor. If the concentrations in the water are unknown, an easy option may be to switch to a distilled or RO water for brewing. Since the ion content is already included in the DME or LME, it is possible to brew with straight RO or distilled water.

I use bottled water..... No less than three weeks in primary and 3-4 in the bottle before I ever even touch one... It's not a strong tang..... Nobody else notices it, but I do because I am the one that brewed it! Oh and I have a freezer I ferment in an keep it around 60-62 for all my ale's!

Well, you should do a test. How much grain can you mash? Are you able to make a 1, 2, maybe even 3 gallon batch of an all grain beer? See if this "tang" goes away when leaving out the extract.

oh wait, you aren't using this are you:
100429-tang-vmed-11a.grid-6x2.jpg

Seems a bit cold on fermentation. Most of jamils receipes I've seen are fermented around 66-68 than brpught up a degree or two.

Well, you should do a test. How much grain can you mash? Are you able to make a 1, 2, maybe even 3 gallon batch of an all grain beer? See if this "tang" goes away when leaving out the extract.

this. i love doing two gallon AG batches on the stove to dial in recipes and they are easy to manage with mesh bags.

Tough to know if its something in your process or ingredients. A side by side with LME v DME or normal v late addition or extract v all-grain, say in 1g batches, identical process and see if there's a difference.

Back