Need thoughts on DFH 60 Minute GF Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Starting two topics here to get some opinions on a clone attempt of two popular beers my girlfriend loved before she went GF - DFH 60 Minute and Blue Moon. Recipe for 60 minute is as follows.

3 lb 5 oz Sorghum LE (Northwestern Extracts)
3 lb 15 oz Brown Rice Syrup (Whole Foods)
1.5 lb Millet, Crystal Roasted [See below]
1.5 lb Red Quinoa, Crystal Roasted [See below]

1.25 oz Warrior (60 min)
Note: Half added at beginning of boil, then continuously added until 35 minutes left

1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe
Note: Mixed and added continuously last 35 minutes

1 oz Amarillo (Dry hop)
0.5 oz Simcoe (Dry hop)

Nottingham Dry Yeast

Commentary: Was planning on getting the grains from bulk bin at Whole Foods and following Crystal roast instructions from our Aussie Friend that has his own GF brewery - Andrew Lavery.

1. Soak millet and quinoa overnight
2. Drain and rinse the wet millet and place it in stock pot, raise temp to 160 F and hold for 30 minutes
3. Remove from stock pot, strain water and place in baking pan
4. Roast at 165 F in oven until malt is dry
5. Roast at 300 F for 2 hours

I was then planning on gelatinizing the millet/quinoa combo and cereal mashing with some amylase enzyme I have (60 minute mash, possible sparge but not planning on getting many OG points out of the grain). Add syrups and follow hopping schedule as planned.

Thoughts/comments/criticisms? Thanks guys!

Seems like your 60min would work out well. My only thought would be to halve the Simcoe. The reason being that Sorghum actually tastes a lot like Simcoe hop flavor and the two combined would probably overpower the beer.

Other than that, I see nothing stopping you.

This is tasting very hoppy and lacking in body. Think adding some blackstrap molasses or some type of sugar or honey will help with this? I would like to add some type of flavor to simulate crystal grains because I do not think my home made crystal millet/quinoa came through very well.

Will taste and check gravity when I get home tonight.

This is tasting very hoppy and lacking in body. Think adding some blackstrap molasses or some type of sugar or honey will help with this? I would like to add some type of flavor to simulate crystal grains because I do not think my home made crystal millet/quinoa came through very well.

Will taste and check gravity when I get home tonight.

And so goes the struggle with GF beer. Blackstrap are a ? but honey and sugar will actually thin the beer further.

And so goes the struggle with GF beer. Blackstrap are a ? but honey and sugar will actually thin the beer further.

Could maltodextrine or gluten free oats (seen the oats used in the stout recipe) add the body required?

I will definitely adding some more malto before bottling but considering adding anywhere from a quarter to half pound of blackstrap as it is still fermenting steadily.

im not so sure you want to add that much mole asses, im sure others will chime in here, but i understand it can create some bizarre flavors.

I agree with dirtbag, my last GF IPA had 1 cup of blackstrap and I can taste a hint of licorice. Not really what I was going for, would half it next time. Adds great color though.

What about some Belgian Dark Candi Syrup. Very caramelized so think this will help it will help that out? I realize this won't add body but I have plenty of malto to try and help with that.

Malto will help with the mouthfeel somewhat, but it will also make it quite a bit sweeter, which would not be desired in a 60min clone.

What is the FG? I think you are probably on the mark with body, but what you are tasting is the lack of malt backbone for the hops to lean against. And none of the above described products can help with that. It is the key struggle with gluten free beer because gluten creates a less watery mouthfeel and a malty backbone comes from the barley.

Feel free to experiment with the products though, and experiment with any you can think of we haven't named too.

Yep you're hitting the problem spot on I just don't have much experience with adjuncts such as blackstrap or Belgian candi. Still haven't tasted we'll see tonight.

Yep you're hitting the problem spot on I just don't have much experience with adjuncts such as blackstrap or Belgian candi. Still haven't tasted we'll see tonight.

I really like the dark belgian candi syrup flavor in my darker stuff, sort of a pruney, chocolatey taste.

Never used blackstrap though, I dont like the taste of licorice.

I ended up leaving this beer as it was. After bottling first tastings were similar to my all extract (sorghum and rice) pale ale I had made before. As it aged this did seem to develop some body as well as head retention!

I thought my girlfriend was drinking one of her roommates non GF IPAs when I first took a sip. Was really astounded at how well this came out.

I ended up leaving this beer as it was. After bottling first tastings were similar to my all extract (sorghum and rice) pale ale I had made before. As it aged this did seem to develop some body as well as head retention!

I thought my girlfriend was drinking one of her roommates non GF IPAs when I first took a sip. Was really astounded at how well this came out.

Awesome. Is the original recipe in your first post the one you ended up using or did you change it all?

Back