anyone had AHS Bavarian Hefewiezen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austin Homebrew, though I did not buy the kit or ingredients from you, I am interested in your comment on StarSan, as that is what I use. I have always been under the understanding that it is no-rinse, and causes no off flavors. Can you further explain?

Thanks -

Did you use bleach, star san, or Iodine to sanitize with?

If you are really unhappy I can make it right but I have to get to the bottom of the problem.

Most of the off flavors we encounter are star san, bleach, or iodophor issues. Boiling will remove the trace of chlorine in the water. It is usually sanitizer not rinsed well enough or mixed to strong or both. Let me know, it really shouldn't taste bad.

If it is a banana, clove or bubble gum taste it is supposed to be there.

Forrest

Forrest

Star San?

Forrest, I have never heard of Star San causing flavor issues. The amount used, pretty much just foam, is minuscule.

Star San?

Forrest, I have never heard of Star San causing flavor issues. The amount used, pretty much just foam, is minuscule.

From what I have read, Iodophor and Star San are both no rinse sanitizers WHEN USED IN THE PROPER DILUTION RATIO. Most people use WAY too much of the sanitizer, and then try not to rinse and end up with off flavors. Thats what I have gathered from my research.

From what I have read, Iodophor and Star San are both no rinse sanitizers WHEN USED IN THE PROPER DILUTION RATIO. Most people use WAY too much of the sanitizer, and then try not to rinse and end up with off flavors. Thats what I have gathered from my research.

What he said. If under diluted and not rinsed you get the medicinal / band aid flavor.

Forrest

Did you contact the store or just post on someone elses forum? I am sure that if you contacted them and let them know they would make it right. I hear that their customer service is awesome.

Forrest

No, after having two orders back to back incorrectly filled and having to make multiple trips into the store on both orders to get the rest of the ingredients or to swap out wrong ingredients I gave up. I still ended up finding out I was missing stuff from the order. I placed a separate order with Brewmasters Warehouse just to get the stuff I had already paid your store for.

I would call the customer service somewhere between piss poor and embarassing. Obviously nobody checked the orders when they were filled. Those orders were months apart so it's not like somebody just had an off day. That's a sign of a consistent quality problem. And EVERY time I went back to explain a problem with the order I either got total indifference or an excuse that whoever I was talking to didn't fill the order so it wasn't their fault. One time I even had to argue whether what I ordered was what I needed instead of what they gave me. I'm pretty sure I know what I put in my own recipes.

I guess when I realized I was still short on stuff or that the kit seemed to be off (I am suspect that there was any wheat malt in the Live Oak Hefe kit I received because it doesn't taste like it was compiled correctly) I should drive four hours back to Austin or call the store to hear excuses? I'd rather not deal with your "awesome" customer service just to hear excuses.

I brewed this kit as well, except I went with the liquid yeast upgrade, white labs I believe. And fermented it at the lower range, at 62, came out great. Even at that low of a temp, I still got some nice banana and clove notes. The best hefe I have brewed to date was Jamils from "brewing classic styles".

well, sad night in the Pierce household tonight. Dumped my first batch of beer. Man that suck'd. Anyhow, this AHS brew is gone, and honestly, I likely wont try it again......

PM me your name and address and I will hook you up.

Forrest

P.S. I was born and raised in Iowa City. My wife grew up in Marion.

Take Forrest up on his offer. Go with a liquid yeast this time (be sure to make a starter) and use bottled water and let us know how it turns out.

This is the second time I've seen Forrest offer to hook someone up on HBT - and the main reason I started ordering from AHS. That is quality customer service. I just brewed the double chocolate stout and it is amazing!

Just don't use distilled water. Also id skip a starter. Not entirely necessary for hefe of this size. There are probably other areas you should focus on besides yeast starters now.

This is the second time I've seen Forrest offer to hook someone up on HBT - and the main reason I started ordering from AHS. That is quality customer service. I just brewed the double chocolate stout and it is amazing!

I am drinking their double chocolate stouts off of nitrogen right now! What a great beer.

I agree, Forrest makes things right. I love his kits and as many orders as I have placed through them, I haven't had a bad one yet.

Hopefully things work out and you give AHS an extra shot.

Oh, I fully plan on using AHS's products, just didnt plan on this particular beer from them. I plan on buying there double chocolate stout kit, and there oatmeal stout kit. Those are 2 beers that I just cant seem to ever pass up when I see them.

No, after having two orders back to back incorrectly filled and having to make multiple trips into the store on both orders to get the rest of the ingredients or to swap out wrong ingredients I gave up. I still ended up finding out I was missing stuff from the order. I placed a separate order with Brewmasters Warehouse just to get the stuff I had already paid your store for.

I would call the customer service somewhere between piss poor and embarassing. Obviously nobody checked the orders when they were filled. Those orders were months apart so it's not like somebody just had an off day. That's a sign of a consistent quality problem. And EVERY time I went back to explain a problem with the order I either got total indifference or an excuse that whoever I was talking to didn't fill the order so it wasn't their fault. One time I even had to argue whether what I ordered was what I needed instead of what they gave me. I'm pretty sure I know what I put in my own recipes.

I guess when I realized I was still short on stuff or that the kit seemed to be off (I am suspect that there was any wheat malt in the Live Oak Hefe kit I received because it doesn't taste like it was compiled correctly) I should drive four hours back to Austin or call the store to hear excuses? I'd rather not deal with your "awesome" customer service just to hear excuses.

You are right. A lot has changed since the problems you had. I have fired a couple people and I have completely removed the customer service guy that was there. He is forbidden to answer the phone or write an email.

If anyone is not happy with the service Austin Homebrew provides send us an email: [email protected]. If you are not happy with the resolution you can call or email me directly @ [email protected]
I want to make it right. Contact me before going to a forum and expressing displeasure. I can fix a problem if I know about it.

ReverseApacheMaster: Sorry for the problems you have had. PM me your name and email address and I will hook you up with a $100 gift certificate for your troubles.

Forrest

Thanks. That is my personal recipe. Glad you like it.

Forrest

Forrest has stepped up to the plate and hit a home run. He didnt have to do anything, because, it could have simply been written off due to my brewing, or a newb mistake. But instead he goes out of his way to try and make sure a new brewer like myself prevails. Thanks Forrest for the help. You guys will be seeing more orders from me.

Home Run Forrest. I have seen you step up to the plate numerous times on here now and each time you hit it out of the park.

It's days like this that I feel great about all the money I have spent at AHS.

Back