Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
Brewed clone of founders breakfast stout 3 weeks ago. OG-1.075, mashed high temp (157*). Coffee grounds and cocoa powder added at flameout. Pitched 2 packs re-hydrated safale us-05 dry yeast. Fermentation was quick and explosive, probably lost nearly 1/2 gallon due to blow-off. Ferm temp was 65-68*. Roused the carboy 2 times a day for first 10 days. Just racked to secondary, FG= 1.027......this seems WAAAAY to high.

I know there were a lot of unfermentables (high mash temp), but could it be that cocoa powder and maybe coffee affects the FG where i may be closer to where i want to be. I was figuring on at least a 1.022 FG. If i need fresh yeast, can i just pitch re-hydrated dry yeast (no starter)

Well, you mashed at 157 and you got 64% attenuation. That's done, not stuck. According to Noonan you should only get between 66-69% attenuation at that mash temperature, and that's assuming no cara-type malts.

Latest posts

Back