I have two 1/2 barrels... Now what!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I gave a worker some of my homebrew and he loved it so much he gave me 2, ½ barrels he got when they closed down a store.

After my first AG this weekend, I know I need a bigger brew pot, my 30qt. had all it could handle.

For my brew pot I plan on cutting a 12in. hole in the top, weld a nipple for a 1/2 “ valve. Do I need a t-stat or sight glass on the brew pot?

The other barrel I plan on heating my Mash & Lautering water in.

I plan on welding a ½” nipple for a drain valve, one for a t-stat and one for a sight glass.
I’m going to find a lid and cut my hole to the size of the lid to help keep the heat in.

I have a 65,000 btu burner and am going to see if it will handle this load.

Any other Ideas.

I just built an Igloo 10 gal. MLT. it worked real well so for the time I plan on keeping it.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/6926-DCP_1870.JPG

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/6926-DCP_1872.JPG

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Don

Nice score.

The kettle doesn't need anything but a spigot, (IMO)
The HLT will probably benefit from a sight glass and thermostat if it's going to on a 3 tier system.

Most in the US seem to use couplers but I use nipples (less connections and It keeps the spigot in closer)

The burner should be fine. I use a <30,000 btu burner.

I'd think twice about using the keg on that turkey fryer frame though.

My burner is an old 65,000 btu fish fryer.
The keg is setting nicely on it. I tryed it out for size and it's an nice fit.

I think the fish fryer that my burner orginaly came with was about a 50 or 60 qt pot which is long gone.

Yes and I ment to say coupler not nipple.

thanks
Don

Latest posts

Back