Kegging tomorrow need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I am kegging my beer tomorrow after I cold crash it for 24 hours.

I watched my friend do it but don't really remember. See if I have it correct:

Sanitize the corney

Rinse the corney out with clean water

Fill the corney with C02 to make sure it seals properly...check popoff valve

Bleed the C02

Rack beer into corney leaving "some" headspace

Cap it and add C02 while simultaneously bleeding the O2 out of it a few times

Put in fridge to chill

Did I miss anything?

Thanks
Joe

You force carbing? Keep the CO2 connected while in the fridge set at the volume you want for that beer. After 2-3 weeks it will absorb the right amount and be perfect for serving.
Need to serve quickly? Search for faster shaking/force carbing methods here.

Or are you going to naturally carbonate using priming sugar?

Skibumdc,

Yes I force carbonate. What I did for the last two kegs I had is I force carbonated for about 30 minutes, then regulate to the beer and leave it in the kegerator for a few days at that pressure...it worked pretty good last time

Kilted,

You are correct, I was just worried about the Starsan affecting the taste of the beer.

Thanks

Kilted,

You are correct, I was just worried about the Starsan affecting the taste of the beer.

Thanks

it won't. unless you leave a gallon of star-san in the keg you'll never taste it in the beer. ever.

for real.

Read the title and got to thinking about making a wind chime out of failed cornies. Or one of those instruments where you tune the containers by adjusting the water level.

as I always here/say, don't fear the foam! Starsan is specifically used by most because it doesn't effect the taste (Effect or Affect, I never get them straight)

I left 1.5G of star san in my fermenter two brews ago. Had it in three from sanitizing the fermenter (15G) and then racked 10G of beer on top of it. Beer tastes great. Don't fear it.

And I would take the opportunity to test the seals while it's eaither full of water or beer instead of wasting co2 buy filling an entire corny with it.

I'm sure you already did this but make sure you 'clean' first. Sanitizing doesn't clean and cleaning doesn't sanitize. As said before, don't rinse the sanitizer just dump out the sanitizer and rack right away. Before you force carb, put some CO2 inthe keg and pull the purge valve a few times. O2 is lighter than CO2 so the O2 will rise to the top, when you pull the purge valve you are letting the O2 out so none is left in the keg to oxidize your beer. So purge enough to make sure all the O2 is removed. Then you can force carb and cool.

Be aware that the beer won't hold carbonation as well at room temp as it will when cold so it is good to chill it and then put a little more CO2 on it once cool (around 40° optimally). Good luck!

Do you just listen for leaks when it is full of water? Or do you try to dispense it and look for leaks?
Once sealed up and pressurized I take a spray bottle of starsan (handiest thing in the world of brewing) and spray all the fittings. If you have any leaks, you'll see new bubbles forming. Now you'll see bubbles sitting there just for the soapy starsan, it's new bubbles forming that you're looking for.

Be aware that the beer won't hold carbonation as well at room temp as it will when cold so it is good to chill it and then put a little more CO2 on it once cool (around 40° optimally). Good luck!

Better yet, if you want carbonated beer, you need to leave the co2 on it for the duration of the keg.

Latest posts

Back