Favorite APA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
One style I have not really taste tested a lot of is American Pale Ale. Sure, I have had a few and every brewery seems to have their version, but what are your favorite brands?
Home brews included... :mug:

Sweetwater 420, always keep it in the fridge. :mug:

That beer is not really a standard APA. I think they call it an "Extra Pale Ale". It's really light in color and flavor, IMO.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale should be available just about everwhere, and I think is a better representative of the APA style.

Three Floyds Alpha King is one of my all time favorite beers! I really don't consider it an APA though... I think of it as more of an IPA.

Schlafly's APA is what I tend to think fits the category better and is my favorite APA. Its delicious.

GLBC Burning River.

BurningRiver_BottleGlass.jpg

I'm a big fan of Deschuttes Mirror Pond. A little on the softer side when compared to more apparently bitter SNPA.

Three Floyds Alpha King is one of my all time favorite beers! I really don't consider it an APA though... I think of it as more of an IPA.

Schlafly's APA is what I tend to think fits the category better and is my favorite APA. Its delicious.

I agree with this post. Alpha King I think of as an IPA (whatever it may be called), and I really enjoy Schlafly's Dry-Hopped APA.

30 years ago this would've been a much shorter discussion. I'm having flashbacks to arguing about Bud vs Pabst vs Genesee vs whatever because that's all we had available.

It's a great time to be a beer drinker :rockin:

That is great! I have not seen that brew, but I did go watch the river burn when I was a kid. We lived in Lakewood until 1971. When the river caught fire mom loaded us all in the station wagon and took us site-seeing! I can tell that I will need to get hold of a bottle to see if it lives up to my memory of the great event it celebrates!

I agree with Great Lakes Burning River. Best APA I've ever had. It's even better than their IPA offering, Commodore Perry.

I also like SNPA. There are a lot of good ones out there, so make sure you sample as many as you can!

+1 on Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. If you get a chance, it's the one to beat.

I also really enjoy the Pyramid Draught Pale Ale, which is served on Nitro and absolutely delicious. Only available at Pyramid Alehouses (Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Walnut Creek, Berkeley).

Others have mentioned some great APAs, but I didn't see Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards, and Dales Pale Ale from Oskar Blues. These two I can always drink, and they are quite different from each other.

Deshutes Organic Ale is Up there for me...Also Mammoth Brewing Co's Real McCoy Ale is great

Sierra Nevada is the quintecential apa I think. Classic example of this style. I'vebeen drinking a lot of widmers drifter pale ale. Dogfish shelter pale ale is on the top of my list as well.

Flying Dog's Doggie Style Pale Ale is one of my favorites. :mug:

Terrapin has a really good Rye Pale Ale, not really an APA but it's close! :tank:

SNPA will always be my go to and favorite but maybe becoming the "old school" choice. Mirror Pond is fantastic and I love it but SNPA has the history and in my mind will always be the quintessential APA.

Great Lakes Burning River is :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:
Was drinking this again tonight and its quite delicious. The style guidelines say that they moderate to high hop flaver, but 99.9% of APA's I've had have little to no hop flavor. SNPA is probably the APA I have had the most and it's pretty good.

I like hops, so I am prejudice against the lowly hopped APA's. IPA's & IIPA's are delicious, but 6-10% ABV and I can't drink as many of them. Especially in a social situation where your friends are drinking 1 miller light to your 2 IIPA's. At least they can drive you home, but I wish alcohol content wasn't so tied to hop content.

The APA I just brewed 5 weeks ago used 0.5oz at 60min, and 6oz in the last 20 minutes, and 2oz dry hop. I made it slightly higher IBU than style guidelines, but like I said I want to taste hops. No idea how it is yet, just bottled it.

Back