Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody I was camping with once said they were a beer "connoisseur" and they had brought Sweetwater 420 with them. Really.

WannabeBeerNerd said:
His response was that he had never tried a Milk Stout, that he had wanted to, but on the last brewery tour he went on they got there too late and the milk stout wasn't available because it had spoiled due to having a lot of milk in it.

I hate when that happens!

A writeup in the paper on a local Brewfest:

“We had an enthusiastic bunch this year,” said Kerry Koskela, a homebrewer from Springville, talking about their booth, where four brewers had 16 different types of home brews, including ale, beer and mead made of honey and fruit.

“I’m having the Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stonebrew,” said Jim Fleischauer, “I tried the 805 from Firestone Walker – it’s light and refreshing. But, my favorite is anything from Stonebrew. It is really bold and has a lot of flavor. It’s an acquired taste.”

bleme said:
A writeup in the paper on a local Brewfest:

“We had an enthusiastic bunch this year,” said Kerry Koskela, a homebrewer from Springville, talking about their booth, where four brewers had 16 different types of home brews, including ale, beer and mead made of honey and fruit.

“I’m having the Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stonebrew,” said Jim Fleischauer, “I tried the 805 from Firestone Walker – it’s light and refreshing. But, my favorite is anything from Stonebrew. It is really bold and has a lot of flavor. It’s an acquired taste.”

Wow, ale and beer. How could they get all of that in one venue.

The local art center hosted a beer and pizza competition. There were two local craft brewers as well as two mass produced beers that are brewed locally. They had a category for best ale and best lager. The mass produced pilsner somehow won for the best lager AND best ale!

The local art center hosted a beer and pizza competition. There were two local craft brewers as well as two mass produced beers that are brewed locally. They had a category for best ale and best lager. The mass produced pilsner somehow won for the best lager AND best ale!

That's unfortunate. It's like Pizza Hut winning best pizza in town, or something. Seriously?

mattd2 said:
More like a pizza hut pizza winning best pizza in town... and best burger :D

They did a really good job with the pizza part of it. All small bars and restaurants, but they dropped the ball with the beer. The one brewery only does ales, they asked them which one was for the lager category, he said he didn't have a lager all his beers were ales. They told him just to pick one to enter the lager category!

From a recent Springboard survey. Needless to say, I did not qualify for this survey based on my answers...:mad:

SNAG-0214.jpg

From my mother upon tasting Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddle

"It's not bad, but tastes like those dark beers you drink"

That reminds me of the first (but probably not only) time I got a drink I should have sent back but didn't. It wasn't a beer, but... I got a bad feeling when, after ordering a Manhattan, the waitress came back to ask whether I wanted an olive in it. When the drink showed up, it was in a wine glass and at room temperature.

Thankfully there was no olive.

Yeah there's a place here in town that serves gin and tonics with olives, and they don't know there's a non-dirty martini; they put olive juice in EVERY martini!!! Sooo annoying, just stick to beer there. It's a brewpub, so the beer is pretty good.

Was this the same NPR Story that called Blue Moon and Shocktop "gateway beers"?

I'm afraid so... I think maybe they were saying that INBEV/colossal "beer" makers were shooting themselves in the foot on their "crafty" gambit. I did agree with the bit about prominently displaying who actually produced the beer to reduce consumer confusion, but really, who's it gonna stop? The urine-swilling legions (myself included at times of need e.g. a good Olympia after a long hot day at work just feels so damn proletariat) that thought Bud "American Ale" was a bold move aren't likely to be swayed. It's like the guy I gave a few Hefe's to that didn't like them for being "aromatic, perfume-y, and clove-y"(it was a fantastic Hefe), stating that he preferred Blue Moon. This poor boy is from Sussex of all places. I made mention to him of pints of mild and he made a nasty face, like it was gross...so... "in matters of taste there is no debate" I suppose...

I was in our local craft beer area of the store a few months back and over heard this lady talking on a head set to some one saying I'm not seeing any colt45 five minuets later same lady yea I just looked threw all this beer no colt45. I was thinking to my self I should tell her stone arrogant bastard or southern tiers unearthly are close to colt45's but decided good beer shouldn't go to waste

I had an Amberbock in college and was literally the best beer I'd ever had. I went to a Brew Pub a few months later and started appreciating beer, more than Busch Light. And I probably wouldn't have been interested in the brew pub if I hadn't had the Amberbock.

I'd call that a "gateway" beer for me. :tank:

VicariousCynic said:

Blue moon was my gateway beer....

Edit: forgot the well actually. Sorry guys

I agree with last 2 posters, amber bock was my first real love. Blue moon and Samuel Adams told me that beer could have flavor. Me and my roommate had a tradition of always buying one sixer of amberbock, and one sixer of something new. Got me on that long journey I'm still on today. Minus the six pack of amber bock of course.

I used to Amber Bock as well in college. Well them and Sam Adams. Then afterwards I started expanding my horizons away from BL and Amber Bock. Will still drink Sam as a best of the choices and BL when I need something at an overpriced bar.

I went to college in Fairbanks Alaska and the pub on campus had Alaskan Amber and Moosehead on tap. I always bought pitchers of Amber but if the hockey team was buying, they always got Moosehead. As the Zamboni driver, I was always invited to drink with them. I guess you would say that was my gateway beer.

bleme said:
I went to college in Fairbanks Alaska and the pub on campus had Alaskan Amber and Moosehead on tap. I always bought pitchers of Amber but if the hockey team was buying, they always got Moosehead. As the Zamboni driver, I was always invited to drink with them. I guess you would say that was my gateway beer.

I was stationed at elmendorf afb ( anchorage ak) and Alaskan amber was also my gateway beer. I remember beer before AA was just to get ripped and we started to drink AA when we wanted something more " grown up". And then the obsession with beer started.

The funny thing is since AA was my first beer, I didn't even know about the "gateway". It wasn't until after college that someone offered me a BMC and I had to wonder why anyone would choose that stuff. It wasn't until last year that I realized AA was "craft" beer!

bleme said:

That is, in all honesty, one of the coolest stories Ive heard on this board.

I had a guy sit me down once and explain to me how "light beers" and "dark beers" were made out of the same ingredients. To make "dark beers" the breweries just cooked them longer so they got darker and stronger tasting.

ChshreCat said:
I had a guy sit me down once and explain to me how "light beers" and "dark beers" were made out of the same ingredients. To make "dark beers" the breweries just cooked them longer so they got darker and stronger tasting.

I sense a "well actually" coming...

ChshreCat said:

Marauder said:
I sense a "well actually" coming...

I wasn't going to do it but you provoked me...

Well actually...boiling the wort for an extended period of time increases the concentration of sugars and flavors leading to a stronger batch. It also allows more Maillard reactions to take place which darken the wort and add even more flavors.

Back