Where do you guys get bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
There are two bars fairly close to me. The first one I called to ask to save bottles told me I have to talk to the manager, but the manager is never in. The second bar I talked to told me they don't even make beer bottles with pop off caps any more. Obviously they didn't want to be bothered with it.

Before I start branching out farther, where do you guys get bottles? Most of what I drink at home has screw-off caps, so I can't use them.

Side note:
I have one 500ml wine bottle that would be perfect for my smaller batch wines. Any idea where to get more at a low price (preferably free if possible)?

the packie... i empty the contents of them into my stomach, which then empties into this magical swirling porcelain bowl in my house...then i wash the bottles, fill again, cap and repeat...

all kidding aside, i've just collected most of my 12oz bottles from cases of beer i've consumed over time... i have been known to buy a few cases of bombers which i picked up at the LHBS

I changed what I was drinking at home, and asked intereseted friends to save their bottles for me. I'm only using them for what can't fit in my keg, so the 100+ bottles I have so far will be plenty for me. I've also heard of people checking the recycling bins in the neighborhood. The guy who got me started in Homebrewing says he gets his kid to go around and look for the good bottles. ;-)

Buy a couple cases of something. Drink it. Brew. Give away a few 6 packs to friends that drink and mention that you need pop top bottles. Friends will return the free-beer favor and give you their used bottles. The circle of beer economics :rockin:

I laugh when I get "bottle deliveries" on my porch from friends. All I do is clean and sanitize them. Now I have a couple hundred bottles in circulation between friends and family that are de-labeled and easy to clean.

Watch on Craigslist. Pretty regularly there's a good deal in my area on empties, even delabeled ones. Last time I picked up a few cases for less than $4/case.

I started watching deals at the liquor store and bought pry offs that were on sale. Allowed me to try a bunch of different beers that I might not have picked up as well. Also, might be worth checking with some liquor stores. One by me sells old cases of the returnable bottles for $1 a case.

Most of my bottles (over 400 in various sizes) come from my having kept what I bought over the past 8 years. The 1 exception was a great deal I got on Craigslist where I got 11 cases of stubbies for 20.00

Mostly from my empties. I don't keep anything smaller than 22oz anymore. I did make a C-list deal for 6 cases of (green) flip tops for $50 from an older gentleman that was quitting brewing. Most of his other gear was gone by the time I got there. He threw in 2 glass carboys at 6.5 gal each.

My father-in-law. He drinks at least one (usually two) bottles of beer everyday, and they are always pry-offs. I brought back two cases of empties from Thanksgiving. There were more, but we couldn't fit them in the car with our luggage and the dog. Of course I always return some of those bottles to him full of deleicious home brew. :)

Personally I drink most of the ones I've collected, got some from friends. My LHBS sells them buy the case for a reasonable price, also I've seen them on Craigslist a lot before.

When I first started, empty bottles at the HBS were $12 for a 12 pack. SNPA was $15 for a 12 pack. 3 more dollars and my bottles came with yummy beer in them.

I get bottles from Friends, family, or buying craft brew. These bottles are used for anything I plan on drinking or giving back to others... I buy a case of bottles for $13 about once a year and use these strictly for competitions, and competitions only.

Some of my bottle suppliers had a bad habit of not washing out, or not thoroughly washing out bottles...its not worth my time to clean those.

I get mine from an Asian restaurant near my home. Great food, and I have become friends with the owner. She saves bottles for me every week, and I bring her samples of what I brew.

Check Craigslist, people often times save their empties and give them away by the case load. It's all a crap shoot on how clean they are, but if they're free it's not a big deal to toss a couple of nasty ones. A lot of people are getting smart though and asking for their bottles in exchange for your home brew, which, depending on your supply line, could be worth it. It kind of defeats the purpose, but if you're in a pinch it works out.

I got all my bottles from the recycling center for free. Just be sure you clean and sanitize them ( of course). Also be sure not to tell your friends. All mine seem to be upset about "dirty used trash" bottles and forgot bout the free beer they were ferrying. Lol

Back