Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Started this yesterday afternoon.
30 lbs pears cored and chopped
10 lbs peach's
8 lbs sugar
3tsp pectin enzyme
3tsp nutrient
1/2tsp tannin
3tsp fruit fresh
5 c tabs
1118 yeast
sg 1080.

Pretty close to Jack Keller's. I have 30 lbs leftover cored chopped and frozen. If this turns out I may try another. I just don't like seeing fruit go to waste. I also have a straight pear in the primary going on 5 days now. It sure smells good. Mike

This sounds really solid. I like peach combo wines and think that my future wines that are not skeeter pee will be peach type wines. Best of luck to the ferment.

P.S. I like the name. Not sure if you are native American but as a joke my native American name is HeWhoWalksLikeBlindWolf. Lol

I got the name in my flintknapping journeys. We have an initiation type thing and I am one of the Chiefs. Nothing to do with Native Americans or Indians of any kind. Here is a pic of some of my work. Mike
101_4935.jpg

100_3752.jpg

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Started this yesterday afternoon.
30 lbs pears cored and chopped
10 lbs peach's
8 lbs sugar
3tsp pectin enzyme
3tsp nutrient
1/2tsp tannin
3tsp fruit fresh
5 c tabs
1118 yeast
sg 1080.

Pretty close to Jack Keller's. I have 30 lbs leftover cored chopped and frozen. If this turns out I may try another. I just don't like seeing fruit go to waste. I also have a straight pear in the primary going on 5 days now. It sure smells good. Mike

'Fruit Fresh'?? Not familiar with that product...

FruitFresh is commonly used when canning...it is a source of Vitamin C and antioxidants and can keep cut fruit from browning, if used properly, from browning.

Recipe looks great Mike! Have you considered adding ginger or vanilla beans when bulk aging?

Thanks Sara I am thinking on some kind of spices. Vanilla sounds tempting. Since I have no fruit press I am planning on leaving in the primary for a few more days than normal. My fruit really don't look much different than when I pitched the yeast. I did get a very active ferment. You could hear it bubbling in the bucket. The fruit I am speaking of is from the first batch I started a week ago today. In other words I have two batch's in primaries. Mike

Mike, having never used pears nor peaches before, I have a question. Would running them through a blender have increased your extraction, or just created a giant globby mess?

Back