Sanke Keg Snap Ring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UDJared

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't be able to successfully search this item yet, so maybe someone can direct me if there is already a thread for this.

Is there anyone who has already found an internal snap ring size kit that can be used to replace the retaining spring clip?

Will any 2-(x/8)" snap ring work, or is there a specific thickness that is required?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jared

McMaster Carr pn 91580A246

I don't have any problems with my snaprings. It prolly only takes me 30 seconds to remove them and pull the spear.

Thank you much.

Due to my wants to have them about now, I looked up ones with very similar dimensions from Fastenal.

Stainless Steel SKU: 0423411
Black Phosphate SKU: 1168066

Really looking forward to not having to pull out that coiled spring retainer.

Well, I got the snap rings and pliers big enough, the ring fits into the keg, but maybe not all the way(?). When I try to putting taps on, and the ears of the rings interfere, and I can't get even close to engaging the tap's wedges to the tabs of the keg.
I measured the original retaining ring of the keg at ~0.063 and the snap ring matches that exactly.
I then tried to force the ring outward, which helped slightly, but it appears the side of the ring opposite the ring's ears (thickest part) doesn't appear to be fully engaged.
Any ideas for better ring fit?

Ok, I went and tried forcing the ring on the thick side into the keg, and managed to get it flush with the keg, but the ears are still interfering. See attached pics.

ForumRunner_20120731_211830.jpg

ForumRunner_20120731_211850.jpg

Using the stock rings is easy when you get the hang of it. I dremel ground a small notch in a small, good quality toolsteel flathead screwdriver, and use this to get the ring out. Might as well buy a few spare rings - they're cheap.

Alright, it just took a a less head, a beer and some time to stare at it.
The snap ring heads will clear when you basically align them with the locking tabs of the keg.
Once I did this, both the hand tap and the kegerator coupling fit on with no problems.
See attached pics.

Glad you got the tap on.
Some taps fit better than others, and some snap-rings have bigger "ears" than others.

Aligning the ears with the tabs is a good place to start, I put mine slightly past the tab for the best fit.
I've heard some folks grind down the rings a bit too, but I haven't had to yet.

My experience is such that a little practice w/ the spiral rings and they work very well. Search for clutchdude's reinstallation thread as well.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to brewing by myself. Always with buddies and their equipment. Got all my own stuff recently, and i've had a few old 1/4 kegs in my garage I never returned (like 10 years ago) and recently realized you could open them yourself. Got some snap rings from Ebay. 2pack for $10. They work well as long as you have the pliers. I've always had a sanke tap fridge. So this was a no brainer for me rather than switching over to Corny kegs.

Back