The deafening roar of Apfelwein!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Man, this is the LOUDEST fermentation I have experienced and I ain't talkin' about the airlock. I can hear fizzing from a few feet away, in addtion to the airlock bubbling. If I put my ear next to the carboy it is pretty wild.

Not too mention the stench! :cross:

Whooooo. This is perhaps the stinkiest fermentation I have experienced as well. Fortunately I seem to be the only one it really "offends"

Ditto here...its certainly active in there. Of course This is the first time I have seen the process in a clear container. My kids watch it like TV

I have the carboy in my bedroom and it actually woke me up from my sleep when it started fermenting....that is no joke...

Sounded like a babbling brook.
I'm used to it now and I may have trouble sleeping without it when it's finished!

Just the opposite though on the smell for me. Mine smells like tart apples..

ReidmanSounded said:
like a babbling brook.
I'm used to it now and I may have trouble sleeping without it when it's finished!.

Well, I know how to fix that. Order more carboys, Apple Juice & Yeast! :D

knights of Gambrinus said:
Man, this is the LOUDEST fermentation I have experienced and I ain't talkin' about the airlock. I can hear fizzing from a few feet away, in addtion to the airlock bubbling. If I put my ear next to the carboy it is pretty wild.

How long did it take for fermentation to get this radical? I am 24 hrs in and have a steady 1-2 sec bubbles in the airlock and can see activity, but nothing this explosive

KSMICT said:
How long did it take for fermentation to get this radical? I am 24 hrs in and have a steady 1-2 sec bubbles in the airlock and can see activity, but nothing this explosive

what is your ambient temprature?

Not too mention the stench! :cross:

Whooooo. This is perhaps the stinkiest fermentation I have experienced as well. Fortunately I seem to be the only one it really "offends"

What yeast and sugar did you use?

OK, OK, I get it.

Temp is apporx 70-75

Sugar was table sugar (I couldn't find corn sugar)

Yeast was Lalvin EC-1118 (Have some lying around)

and as long as I'm confessing, I used applejuice concentrate, not fresh juice.

:eek:

I have the glass carboy sitting on my desk, and have been watching the activity increase all day. This is a fun project and I kinda like being able to watch it work this way (No hops - not light sensitive right?)

I was not complaining/worried in my earlier post, was just kinda wondering what to expect. Obviously there are many variables, but I stayed as close to the recipe as I could (Without making a special trip for ingredients)

I gotta say though, that's the best smelling fermentation ever. It actually smells like something one would like. I've always been impressed at how bad fermenting beer smells, especially hefes. I often wonder how people decided that they would want to drink this after smelling it ferment! Anyway, all this talk about fermentation's making me thirsty, time to grab an HB since the little one's taking a nap.

omniscientomar said:
I gotta say though, that's the best smelling fermentation ever. It actually smells like something one would like. I've always been impressed at how bad fermenting beer smells, especially hefes. I often wonder how people decided that they would want to drink this after smelling it ferment! Anyway, all this talk about fermentation's making me thirsty, time to grab an HB since the little one's taking a nap.

Hmmm, your being sarcastic yes?

My studio/den/and dining room REAK of sulphury apples. Phewwwww! Getting better but man it reaked at first. :drunk:

Question to how long it took to get going, um, not sure. I kind of set it and forgot it. I guess it had a light ring of foam the next day. Then dissappeared and it started really going, and still is, maybe 2 days ago. I dunno, 36 hours? There was almost immediate pressure in the airlock though. It just didn't start goin' bonkers for a while.

My studio/den/and dining room REAK of sulphury apples. Phewwwww! Getting better but man it reaked at first. :drunk:

Interesting, I wonder if that is the yeast causing the sulpher smell,
check this link

Montrachet... Good ethanol tolerance. During the onset of fermentation it can produce more H2S than alcohol.

H2S = Hydrogen Sulfide

Back