Forgot to Aerate my first brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukguy

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch yesterday. BB American Cream Ale. Everything went ok and I rehydrated the Nottingham yeast that came with kit. After 15 hours I see no airlock activity. And now I realize that I only strained my wort but didn't really agitate it well. Really the only agitation it got was when I added my 2.5 gallons of water I poured in kind of aggressive and then stirred it in really good. I know patience is a MUST, but the realization that I didn't aerate enough is really concerning me. Any help?

Hmm well aeration is important, but I can't imagine the yeast wouldn't start off because of your situation. Give it a little more time, check for leaks in your bucket after it's been 48 hours....

I'd recommend leaving it alone and not worrying too much about it. You probably have a less that optimal amount of oxygen in your wort. That will slow the yeast growth, and may lead to not getting quite the fermentation you would have gotten. However, your beer will still be OK.

You'll be fine.

Your process sounds like mine. I pour in top off water then stir the hell out of it. Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours or more before you see signs of fermentation. Don't worry, be patient.

Lack of airlock activity is not a sign of lack of fermentation. I have had beer that made zero bubbles in the airlock yet fermented completely and tasted fantastic. If you don't have a tight fitting lid, loose airlock, or any number of things that cause a lack of air-tightness, you will see reduced airlock activity. It doesn't mean your beer isn't fermenting.

The ONLY way to measure fermentation is with a hydrometer. So you can take a sample. If the SG is less than your OG, you're on your way to beer! You can also take off the lid and just check for krausen. If you don't want to take off the lid, then shine a flashlight on the side to look for a shadow from the krausen.

Aeration helps the fermentation take off quicker and promotes heathy yeast, but it isn't required. It's a good idea, and it helps your beer quality, but you'll still have beer regardless.

Your FG may be higher than expected, so lower ABV. You may also have a slightly sweeter beer than you expected.

Danstar, the maker of Nottingham says that aeration is not necessary with the dry yeast they produce. Their packs have sufficient yeast cells and all that the yeast needs to get started. Your beer will ferment and will have an FG in the proper range.

I ferment with Nottingham very frequently and even when aerating with pure O2 for 1-2 minutes it can take a day or two for it to show any signs of life. Have some patience.

RDWADAHB.

Danstar, the maker of Nottingham says that aeration is not necessary with the dry yeast they produce. Their packs have sufficient yeast cells and all that the yeast needs to get started. Your beer will ferment and will have an FG in the proper range.

This^^^

It will be fine.

What is the result of less than optimal fermentation? less ABV?

Besides the lower abv and some potential Sweetness, if your fermentation doesn't finish it can leave undesirable byproducts in your beer. But in this case you should be fine. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

From the Danstar website:

http://www.danstaryeast.com/frequently-asked-questions

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.
If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

Thanks for all the reassurances! Just looked at airlock and at 21 hrs. I HAVE steady airlock activity!!! Phew!!! Thoughts on doing secondary with this batch?

I don't see a need to secondary very many beers so I wouldn't bother. A lot of people secondary everything, though.

Back