Starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
After reading about almost everyone praise the godness of starsan I decided to give it a go instead of my k-sulfite (Which smell like s...).

Made my first dilution today.

5ml(0.20oz) in 0.80GAL (3L). I don't know what I was expecting but the solution is.... pretty clear. I mean it doesn't even have a small color, it just look like water.

I was expecting something more... brownish... I've seen pic of people with very brown solution, was it iodophor and I though it was starsan?

And people say don't fear the foam, but I was also expecting way more bubble and bigger than that. When I swirl the solution in the bottle it makes tiny white bubble. But I though picture I saw were very big brown bubbles.

Sorry for this weird question, I read too much stuff here that I think I get mixed up.

After reading about almost everyone praise the godness of starsan I decided to give it a go instead of my k-sulfite (Which smell like s...).

Made my first dilution today.

5ml(0.20oz) in 0.80GAL (3L). I don't know what I was expecting but the solution is.... pretty clear. I mean it doesn't even have a small color, it just look like water.

I was expecting something more... brownish... I've seen pic of people with very brown solution, was it iodophor and I though it was starsan?

And people say don't fear the foam, but I was also expecting way more bubble and bigger than that. When I swirl the solution in the bottle it makes tiny white bubble. But I though picture I saw were very big brown bubbles.

Sorry for this weird question, I read too much stuff here that I think I get mixed up.

Yes, iodophore is brown (iodine). Starsan foams if you shake it, but other than that it's pretty much like you describe. Clear, colorless, odorless awesomeness.

One trick- make a big batch, then recycle it- use a Ph strip to make sure it is still adequately acidic. I recycle mine for months and a number of batches. Rather spend money on grain, yeast, and hops!

Agree. I mix Starsan with distilled water and use it for months. I also use pH strips to check the acidity.

NRS

Where do you get pH strips? LHBS? Can I grab it somewhere esle too?

I use tap water so it probably won't last as long as you guys.

Also if you put it in spray bottles it might not hurt to put a drop of food coloring in that distinguishes it!

Also makes it easier to see if you got full coverage when spraying an item.

I keep a 5 gal bucket of Starsan along with 2 spray bottles handy 24/7. Makes it easy to toss parts and hoses in the bucket and grab the spray bottle to spray everything else.

Starsan may be colorless,but it's very easy & effective to use. It's a wet contact sanitizer that works in as little as 30 seconds. Let's say you sanitize your fermenter with it right before filling,& there's foam in the bottom. That's ok,it'll break down into yeast nutrient in the wort. Same with bottles on bottling day. I also use a small plastic funnel to run starsan through all my racking tubes,blow offs,etc. I like it because it doesn't stain like iodine based sanitizers. With your FV's being well cleaned,starsan can even help get rid of odors in my experiences.

Thank guys. Now I gotta find pH strips tests. Didn't find 'em on my LHBS price list.

Back