Primary Fermentation - is it supposed to stink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
I have read this forum for a long while now and because of that I would normally relax and let the brew run it's course. But if you followed my other thread about not refrigerating my yeast you will understand why I may over worry a bit.

Anyways both beers have been in the primary for a few days. One is barely active but seems to have a decent head on it.

The other one has a larger head and the air-lock is constantly bubbling like every 5 seconds.

I also notice a distinct smell coming from them in the room I have them setup in (the wife says it's a horrible smell - but that's just wife dramatics ;) )

It smells real sweet - almost vinegar-y if I had to try to describe is. Is this normal or do I have a potential problem with infection? Are there any warning signs on stuff to look at in the case of infection?

thanks guys.

Well, there are all kinds of smells that come as a by product of fermentation. I don't think I've ever noticed vinegar-y, but it's possible. It depends on the type of yeast used, the temperature, etc, and there is no way to gauge the final flavor just on the aroma of fermentation. Usually I think it smells pretty good, but I'm sure my family would disagree with me.

So, for now, don't worry! Wait until it's done and you'll know for sure.

When I brewed with some honey last winter, the fermentation smelled extremelly sulferous. Think: the morning after bean burrito night.

On my first batch I noticed what I thought was a vinegary smell, and worried that I had an aceto infection. The batch turned out fine (a little boring, but that was my fault). Who knows what I was smelling - I've since learned not to come to any conclusions at all from fermenter sniffs.

Kai

I am brewing a Fat Tire (amber) clone and a Warrior Pale Ale.

I did put some vodka in the 3 piece air-lock - wonder if that might be contributing to it.

Me personally I don't care. But since the guest room is the only place I can put it that is temp stable between 65-75 and get little light - the wife is a little anxious to get the smelly stuff out of there - lol.

I expected a little smell - but this is pretty pungent. Just have to wait and see.

You think that smells? Try fermenting some applejuice mixed with grape juice!!! That stuff F-ing stinks for the first week!!!

Back