beer glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to give some family members a good holiday gift idea. What I'm looking for is a set of different style of beer glassware. As I am focusing on this hobby more, I would appreciate a nice set of glassware that should be used for the appropriate beers I brew. Does anyone know if there is a set like this available? I know these could be pieced together but I'm trying to make it easy on my family. Thanks-b.

I was a bit confused by your post, but I think that you are looking for a set of glasses sold in a set where each glass in the set is for a different style of beer.

While I don't have a lot to base my opinion on, I am doubtful that you will find that.

Most glass sets come in a minimum of 2. It is assumed that you will be sharing a drink with someone.

One idea is to go to one of your better liquor stores and check out the holiday gift packs. Many varieties of beers are conviently packaged together with the proper drinking glasses during the Christmas season.

You will probabley find all of the glasses that you like, and can hand this list to your family. As a bonus, the glasses will conveniently come with beer!

The only bad thing about the above is, from what I've seen, the glasses usually come with whatever brand of beer's name it is printed all over it. Fine if you're only drinking that brew but when I'm drinking mine own I'd rather have a 'print-less' glass, but I can be pedantic like that.

Try some resturant/bar/catering stores, esp. online ones. I've seen a few where you can buy single glasses, wouldn't really be that hard for someone to piece together a few different glasses in an online store.

But having the different glasses sold together in a set would be cool. A six pack of glasses with maybe a pair of pint glasses, pilsner glasses and chalice or something

If you are really put off by the branded beer glass, the paint can be easily removed by soaking it in a solution of ??(oxyclean)??

There are plenty of online sources for non-branded beer glassware. My real question would be, which styles of beer do you want glasses for? British styles are served in an imperial pint, West coast IPA is served in a standard pint, Belgians have their own glassware, ect...

I'd say you should determine what styles you want glasses for and then ask for sets of those glass styles.

beergears said:
N00b asks: What would be the name/style associated with the "Silly" tulip glass at top left of page..? A Belgian style, perhaps?

Well I am no expert either, but I believe it is intended for sweet aromatic beers. The lip of the lip of the tulip allows the beer to hit the front part of the tongue when drinking (where the ability to taste sweetness is) and also for aromatic beers since it has a large opening on the top it allows a lot of aroma out (picture the difference in aroma from a beer in a pint glass compared to a bottle). However, these are all my assumptions and I am not 100% sure my information is factual.

Beer styles that would be aromatic and sweet would be belgians for sure, maybe even some mildly hopped pale ales.

rdwj said:
I was pretty impressed with Pubglasses.com when I ordered from them. Here is a link to their specialty glasses

Awesome, they sell boots! That's a lot of beer :drunk:

beergears said:
N00b asks: What would be the name/style associated with the "Silly" tulip glass at top left of page..? A Belgian style, perhaps?

Only thing I've had in a glass like that is a pina colada :D

Target has a good selection of beer glasses and wine glasses for different styles. I was surprised to see that the wall above actually explains what each type of glass was for.

They were in an isle near the front of the store in the seasonal home decorating, not by the dishes.

Linc

Okay...first, let me say thank you for the links. Great stuff here. I like the simplicity of the collection found at the global beer site. I was almost about to stick a fork in it and call it done. However, I got to thinking. If someone was going to compile a set of essential types of glassware, what must it contained. I know nothing about it which is why I'm here, asking.

See all this crap of having the right glass is just a pain. That's why I just drink it staight from the tap. No damn glasses to clean either.

I'm sure you drink straight from the milk jug too. Let me guess, never married? I'm only joking. But not really. I never pared beer styles with different glassware, but I'm struggleing to come up with good gift ideas.

nduetime said:
If someone was going to compile a set of essential types of glassware, what must it contained.

"Essential" is in the eye of the beholder (or glass-holder, I guess)... you'll have to define it for yourself based on what you ike to brew/drink/share.

Here are some links that describe the various types of glassware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_glassware
http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=124
http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20010322.php

nduetime said:
I'm sure you drink straight from the milk jug too. Let me guess, never married? I'm only joking. But not really. I never pared beer styles with different glassware, but I'm struggleing to come up with good gift ideas.
I am married and I do drink from the milk jug. :D

Latest posts

Back