Balck IPA dry hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BnjmnBish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up a Black IPA kit from my LHBS. the recipe is in the link below. The only thing that concerns me is the schedule for dry hopping. The directions say to ferment for 3 days, then dry hop. Based on what I have read, you want to wait for primary to really slow down (at least a week I would assume) otherwise you will lose flavor/aroma of the hops due to the still aggressive fermentation.

I am pretty new to this, as the BIPA will only be my 5th brew. But this just seems strange to me. Any input is appreciated.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kylers-Cascadian-Dark-Ale-394549

Thanks all.

You can always just take a grav reading at 3 days... if it is close to the FG you can just follow those instructions. I usually let my dry hopped beers go 11-14 days, or more depending on how big of a beer it is, then do my dry hopping.
The recipe states that you DH in the primary then transfer to the secondary. This seems useless to me personally. If you are going to throw hops into the primary just leave them in their until you bottle.
I say unless you are just really impatient then drag out the fermentation a little. Let it sit in primary for a couple weeks. If you have a secondary then just rack on top of your dry hops, if not then just throw them in the primary for however long, i guess really 10 days in the recipe. Then bottle. Even if the hops havent settled some will stick to the sides of the fermenter, others may make it into the bottle but these will drop out into the yeast cake and wont cause any problems. It has happened to me and the hops stay in the cake and i get no "vegetal" flavors from the hops.
Good luck and no matter what you do, you can learn somethings and hopefully drink something tasty!

just wait til the week before you are bottling and add them then, you want to add them as late in the process as possible

Yup I´ve never dry-hop until FG (or very close) it´s reached. If you use pellets as guerrilla said they will drop to the bottom and settle on the yeast cake (plug an leaf will float) if you are dry hopping in the primary vessel. I tend to transfer to secondary and dry hop but a lot of brewers don´t even care for secondary.

I'm in the middle of drinking a batch of black IPA - I dry hopped 2 oz of cascade in a bag the week before bottling, and kept it in primary. Fantastic nose on it. Definitely no reason to dry hop after 3 days since the aromas will fade, so the week before bottling is best.

The methods in that recipe seem all screwy to me, if you dry hop in primary, why use a secondary at all?

Back