New SS wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I just received my new SS wort chiller in the mail.
Quick Question it says to clean it first to remove oil with TSP/90... i cant find this stuff anywhere. Any substitutes i can use?

TSP is still sold at Lowes and Home Depot in my area. I saw in Walmart that they had something called TSP alternative that you could try. That said some dish detergent and oxyclean should work fine - unless there is visible oil/grease on the chiller.

TSP is still sold at Lowes and Home Depot in my area. I saw in Walmart that they had something called TSP alternative that you could try. That said some dish detergent and oxyclean should work fine - unless there is visible oil/grease on the chiller.

+1, I think it's in the paint section

Just get some PBW and call it a day. That stuff is just as important to your brewery as the chiller, believe me.

image-2418426235.jpg

I get TSP/90 at Ace Hardware and make up my own PBW

View attachment 53652

I get TSP/90 at Ace Hardware and make up my own PBW

Out of curiosity, when you make your own PBW with TSP/90 and oxy clean, do you still get that nasty scale build up on bottles?

I've been using just Sun Oxy (Wal-Mart brand) and will never use it again for my bottles. that scale is ridiculous to get off.

Out of curiosity, when you make your own PBW with TSP/90 and oxy clean, do you still get that nasty scale build up on bottles?

I've been using just Sun Oxy (Wal-Mart brand) and will never use it again for my bottles. that scale is ridiculous to get off.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but to get rid of the scale you need an acid rinse. I do a quick rinse with white vinegar and a bottle brush and the scale is gone with minimal effort (I have very hard water). Hopefully that helps someone avoid the frustration I experienced. It drove me nuts for a while especially b/c after I rinsed the bottle and it was still wet it looked clean. As soon as the bottle dried there was the scale. Very frustrating...

Back