• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade: My one 3gal corny for two of your 5gals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
color me stupid, but why is a 3 gallon keg more valuable than a 5 gallon keg?

color me stupid, but why is a 3 gallon keg more valuable than a 5 gallon keg?

The soda industry used the 5 gallon kegs, and when they moved on to plastics and cardboard there were warehouses of these left over. The homebrewers moved in and bought the refurbished ones for ~$25. New 5 gallon kegs cost ~$120. Since the soda industry didn't do small kegs every small keg on the market was bought by someone for full price ~ $120, and there aren't a lot of them out there... so the ones that are being sold usually are sold for closer to manufacture cost.

As an aside, most of the warehouses of used 5 gallon soda kegs have been bought and sold, and most everyone expects the cost of the refurb'd 5 gallon kegs to rise over the coming years as interest our hobby seems to be growing at a fast rate.

TL;DR: Supply and demand

Back