brewing at a different location than where the wort will ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukedog

Reaction score
I have a buddy who recently bought a brewing kit and he wanted to brew a batch of his stuff alongside me at my house. Problem is he wants to store the fermentor at his place. What's the best way to go about this? We'd be drinking while we brew so driving the day of brewing isn't an option. Would it be best to pitch the yeast and then drive home, or to let it sit overnight, transport it home, and then pitch?

or is it a good idea at all?

I would say, go ahead and pitch when it's ready. Drive it home when you're ready. The agitation it will get from driving won't hurt, could possibly help, probably makes no difference.

i was thinking of doing this as well. i have an electric stovetop and it barely gets 3 gal to a rolling boil, making doing all grain nearly impossible. was thinking of boiling at my girlfriend's as she has a gas stove and then driving it back to my place to ferment. It's only a ten min drive.

Figured if i cool down there and pitch, the ten minutes of car ride would prob be good for aeration right?

I had a professor in college who brewed his own beer. He would occasionally bring his fermentor in to show the freshmen active fermentation. As long as you are able to keep the airlock intact, and do it early enough, ie. the next day. you should be fine. "Famous Last Words"

I have done this more than once with no apparent negative side effects.

Pitch the yeast and seal it up as you normally would. Waiting to pitch the yeast is a very bad idea - you need to infect that wort with yeast asap, so yeast become the dominant life form in that environment instead of bacteria. I don't see any reason why some agitation during fermentation (from transportation) would be a problem. And, as I said, I have done this 2 or 3 times with no negative effects. Once I stayed in a hotel with my primary over night - so that was about 18 hours from pitching to settling back at HQ.

I brewed a beer in Atlanta over Christmas break, and pitched the yeast immediately. Two days later, I drove the beer back to Fort Lauderdale, FL, where I live, which is a 10hr drive. I just bottled the beer last week. It tasted great! I wouldn't worry about driving a short distance with the beer in the fermenter.

Back