false bottom choices for direct fire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknoty

Reaction score
i plan on insulating my MLT but will proly still need to fire the burner periodically. i will be using 15 gal aluminum pot and 14-bg banjo. the system will be set to recirc during mash.

should i go for a full false bottom or could a 11" round do the trick if it is kept centered?

i want to avoid schorching

I would use a full false bottom. I use one from jaybirds and I have ever had any scorching at all

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a false bottom if it doesn't "seal" at the edges? If the crap can just go to the edge of the smaller false bottom then it will never clear up.

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a false bottom if it doesn't "seal" at the edges? If the crap can just go to the edge of the smaller false bottom then it will never clear up.

Ya, if you are using a flat bottomed vessel, you have to have the false bottom go all the way to the edges.

problem solved - i will buy a cheap 15gal pot lid and cut to the size i need and drill the snot out of it. then use what ever size bolts and nuts SS to keep the bottom at the correct height and it will even have a handle for removal and clean up.

problem solved - i will buy a cheap 15gal pot lid and cut to the size i need and drill the snot out of it. then use what ever size bolts and nuts SS to keep the bottom at the correct height and it will even have a handle for removal and clean up.

More like problem just begun IMO:D Good luck with it!

That actually sounds like a good idea, it may be really time consuming to make, but cheaper overall. Use a 3/32" bit for your holes and try to keep your drill pattern uniform as to not encourage channeling of wort to anyone spot on the FB.

Post some pics when your done, I'm sure there are many others that could benefit from it. :mug:

That actually sounds like a good idea, it may be really time consuming to make, but cheaper overall. Use a 3/32" bit for your holes and try to keep your drill pattern uniform as to not encourage channeling of wort to anyone spot on the FB.

Post some pics when your done, I'm sure there are many others that could benefit from it. :mug:

thanks.

i will be using AL pots so the lid will be too. A plus cause AL is softer then SS. Depending on the tapper in the pot it may not need feet at all.

i will proly mark and center punch the holes before drilling.

i'm still thinking about wether to use a jigsaw or cut off wheel. the best way would be center hole and a ban saw table.

easily a few hours work but money is an issue so i will follow through with it.

sanke users could do the same but would have to hinge the lid for install and removal.

Back