dog may have ingested a little paint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
We painted a wall tonight and had it pretty well blocked off from the dog, or so we thought. I just found a orange streak of paint down his back/side of a back leg. It was about 5 inches long by a couple inches wide. Looks like he got over to the painted wall and just brushed up against it.
My worry is that he tried to lick some of the paint off before it dried on him. Is this serious? The can says if you ingest the paint you should drink 2 glasses of water and seek medical attention. He just drank a lot of water. Should I be worried?

Me, I'd call the vet and ask. I'm assuming it's latex paint, which is probably a lot less toxic, but still... the fact he's drinking a lot would make me nervous.

I'd first call my regular vet. Our vet has a 24 hr. answering service for emergencies and will return calls for such emergencies. If your vet doesn't have this, you might want to try the local emergency animal clinic. If that's not an option, there is an Animal Poison Control hotline.

Good luck with your furry friend!

Latex paint isn't very toxic and probably not that palatable to be conumed in health threatening quantity. Still, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer's poison control center and taking the appropriate action. My dog ate a Decon rat poison about a year ago. When I contacted the manufacturer they were very prompt. Asked how much my dog weighed.... 108 pounds. They said don't sweat it. It might make a very small dog sick, but not a dog the size of mine. The poison isn't that much as it is made to clog up the small digestive system of rodents. My dog was fine without need of intervention.

Floyd isn't established at a new vets office yet so I called the # on the paint can. I think I spoke to Yacov Smirnov and he said not to worry since the latex paint is pretty much non-toxic. He asked age, weight, and breed, and said to give him water, which I already did. It's been about almost 2 hours since he got the paint on him and he's acting normal, chasing the cat and what not.

That's great to hear. We freaked out when Troy ate half my chocolate birthday cake a couple years ago, but they told us not to worry because the actual amount of chocolate consumed was pretty minimal.

So now the question is - how much damage did the Hurricane do THIS time? ;)

One thing that is really lethal to both dogs and cats is tyannol. Even one tablet will destroy the liver. I quit taking NSAIDS because of reports of being hard on the liver as well as stomach.

I was told that Decon was about as deadly as dehydrated
(instant) potatoes. Works on the same principle. The rodent eats it, becomes thirsty and the substance swells and blocks the digestive tract.

How about hops? I've heard that they are harmful to dogs, but don't know exactly HOW harmful, or how careful we need to be. Troy doesn't go for the hops, but I've dropped pellets on the floor, and he does tend to clean up anything that falls...

Hops are not good for dogs, but I forget the process. But I think you'll find dogs are repulsed by the smell, let alone taste of hops. And any amount in beer would be insufficient to be harmful. But dogs do not process alcohol well, again risking liver failure.

Most of the deadly poisons to dogs destroys the liver or kidneys or both. Protein in excess will slowly destroy the kidneys and is a frequent cause of death in older dogs. I recommend feeding high quality dog foods like Science Diet or Iams. More expensive, but I believe a dog will be healthier and live longer, therefore worth it.

Yeah, he likes the cat-box crunchies too. We use Frest Step cat litter which is made from clay. The clumping litter is bad news for dogs.

As far as chocolate, it's not as bad as people think. My in-laws dog ate a double batch of chocolate chip cookies and he was fine.

My lab/pit mix will eat **** at any source, given the chance.
Two other frequent poisons to dogs are grapes/raisens and walnuts.
Clumping litter shouldn't be much of a problem as a dog's digestive system is capable of passing some pretty big obstructions. I have heard of them passing cell phones and tv remotes without harm. And the devices still worked after completing the circuit.

New HBT law: questions about potential medical emergencies regarding family members will be addresses to physicians/vets and not to drunk people.

Hops can be a problem for dogs, they're a bigger issue for greyhounds. But I've only seen a few documented cases and we are talking a pound of hops.

Sorry I didn't see this one last night, could've alleviated your worries. My dog actually started drinking out of the paint tray when I wasn't looking. The vet said pretty much the same as you found out. No worries, but he may vomit. My dog actually eats rocks, sticks and UPS boxes. He's a tard.

Back