Thermometer broke in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my floating thermometer broke in my wort last night. Just the tip. I am unsure how. The mercury bulb did NOT break. I strained the wort twice. SWMBO says if I ditch the batch I can have another brew day.

Should I just tell her I ditched the batch and brew the other? Should I really throw it out? Seriously, how much damage can tiny glass particles do in my intestines?

Glass particles will sink to the bottom, rack carefully. I wouldn't risk it though, what if a small drop of mercury made it into the wort and you got cancer? Are you sure it's not an alcohol thermometer though? Most glass lab thermometers are filled with alcohol not mercury.

What color was the liquid? If it was red, it was alcohol, if reflective (silver) then it was mercury.

I would call this beer either:

"Heavy Metal" or "Freddie's Mercury. The Queen of Beers"

Double check that therm. If it is mercury I would be concerned. The glass won't be an issue it will settle out unless your OG was like 2.800.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with mercury. Glass, maybe, because it'll settle out (I'd leave behind a little more wort than usual when racking). Mercury, though, is so toxic that the potential health issues outweigh the cost/time of a batch of beer. The risk of breakage is just one reason I've stopped using a floating thermometer in favor of a digital unit with a steel probe.

Mercury thermometers are rare, I doubt there is anything harmful in the thermometer, except for the GLASS!

I would throw it out. Do you really want to risk having glass served to your family and friends? It's not worth it. It might settle out. It might be not.

Back