vanilla extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
I posted a question before about using vanilla in beer and got a lot of good info. The one thing I didn't ask is how long should the vanilla beans soak in vodka for them to be effectively sanitized and ready to pour in...at least what's the minimum amount of time?

I posted a question before about using vanilla in beer and got a lot of good info. The one thing I didn't ask is how long should the vanilla beans soak in vodka for them to be effectively sanitized and ready to pour in...at least what's the minimum amount of time?

I imagine sanitizing would be almost instant with 40% ABV vodka.

I make vanilla extract from beans (for cooking). I can tell by the color that it takes a full week to get decent extraction. I let it go for months though.

passedpawn said:
I imagine sanitizing would be almost instant with 40% ABV vodka.

I make vanilla extract from beans (for cooking). I can tell by the color that it takes a full week to get decent extraction. I let it go for months though.

+1. The swmbo makes extract as well. It really takes several weeks to mellow out

Most recipes that call for beans have them split, scraped, and added to the beer without any soaking in vodka (or maybe just minimal soaking). If you do more than that you risk overdoing the vanilla. Note that the beer will extract the vanilla oils also due to its own alcohol content.

The vanilla flavor will lessen over time the beer, so maybe overdoing it isn't such a bad thing.

michaelpeach76 said:
I keep hearing scraping...what does that mean?

Split the bean in half length wise, take the backside of the pointed end of a pairing knife and scrape the tiny seeds out. Use all the seeds and the pod to make the extract.

Latest posts

Back