Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm almost complete. All electric HERMS

image-110141771.jpg

I'm almost complete. All electric HERMS

I've heard of kids hanging out in uninhabited houses to have sex and smoke pot but building a brewery!? Ballsy! Just kidding that looks great!
What did you do for the flooring/edge? I have been trying to figure out something like that for my garage floor to localize the mess and keep from staining the concrete. Great job.

Can you add some text to your previous post? Wall backing, 500 rolls of electrical tape on the keggles (kidding), etc. Also love the hood. What was your process there?

Walls are a water proof sheeting from lowes. The floor under the brew stand has a 2 inch lip around it all covered in latex epoxy with a floor drain.

image-1819056675.jpg

Very nice setup.

I'm surprised that I don't see more people using the FRP wall board in their setups. I have it around my utility sink but still need to line my fermentation closet with it.

Home Depot has it here.

i will be putting some FRP in for my new dedicated space in the garage. a couple of those will cover the width of the brew stand :)

deprecated said:
Very nice setup.

I'm surprised that I don't see more people using the FRP wall board in their setups. I have it around my utility sink but still need to line my fermentation closet with it.

Home Depot has it here.

They cost too much. $32 a sheet is high. Composite t1-11 is 20 a sheet.

image-593921353.jpg

Here is my completed 3 tier stand, I was trying to not have a pump and just use gravity. This works well, I've used it a few times now and I really enjoy brewing on it.

update for my brewstand since i went full bore electric... had a buddy do the top, i think it turned out amazing! 7" holes for the bottom drain stuff to make it CIP worthy. added a bottom shelf of simple stained plywood for storage for the CFC, other brew goodies. cleared out some workbench from the wall of the garage to leave my stand living full time instead of broken down n put away between brewdays. just need to replace a failed SSR and silicone all the new plugs and heatsink and we're ready to party! maybe add some waterproof board to the wall and add a wall drain out to a hose to drain waste water.

735784_10200261129510099_1464923658_o.jpg

update for my brewstand since i went full bore electric... had a buddy do the top, i think it turned out amazing! 7" holes for the bottom drain stuff to make it CIP worthy. added a bottom shelf of simple stained plywood for storage for the CFC, other brew goodies. cleared out some workbench from the wall of the garage to leave my stand living full time instead of broken down n put away between brewdays. just need to replace a failed SSR and silicone all the new plugs and heatsink and we're ready to party! maybe add some waterproof board to the wall and add a wall drain out to a hose to drain waste water.

Show pictures of the whole thing with kettles and such in place. This looks awesome. Your buddy is obviously talented.

i'm greedy, so i'm going to have temp sensors in the HLT, the MLT, BK, the output of my HERMS/IC and my CFC. there are 2 PIDs in my control panel so i should be able to hook them up to just about any combination (assuming they aren't hugely off from one another). the main ones to use will be the HLT and coil ouput, and the BK one for heating water to dough in with first thing in the session.

You are really going to like brewing with electricity. I personally never brewed with gas, but have been around a few manual gas rigs. This is still hand's on with the brewing process, but MUCH more peaceful. No hectic running around trying to control heat/fire etc... I had a buddy come over a few weeks ago for a brew day and he could not get over how quiet the E-Brewery was!

i've been brewing in bits n pieces with electric for about 6 months... just finally getting the new vessels going with bottom drains, lowering elements power output so i can use them at the same time, and installing a second PID. mostly because i'm too lazy to plug/unplug the different vessels into my single PID setup, and also for back to back batches and the ability to monitor 2 separate temps digitally.

but you're right. i can't believe how much easier it is with electronic control for temps, how much cooler my stand is to the touch (no more melting things like pens), how quiet, how quick things come up to temp and i love not having to drive to go get more propane :)

Very nice setup.

Home Depot has it here.
have been looking for it but didn't know what it was called. Every one i talked to just looked at me with a blank stare. Thanks!

Just slapped this together this past weekend. Brewed a 10 gallon extract batch today. The burner on the bottom kicks ass on its own. Hopefully I can try an all grain batch this weekend and see how my ghetto gas manifold and cheap burners work.

2012-12-27_18-33-18_696.jpg

20130102_131922.jpg

bd2xu said:
Are you double dutying your HLT and boil kettle?

No, the hlt with the herms coil is the left keggle boil on the right, not pictured is the 10gal cooler for mlt (soon to be replaced by 3rd keggle)

NewBrewB said:
Can you post more pics of your hood? That looks like the perfect size!

I will have totaled another, but it is just a kitchen range hood that vents to a window 2' away that also had some old school exhaust fan. So far it has worked pretty good only a few drops of condensation.

ddahl84 said:
I batch sparge then recirculate. It's like the "Brutus 20" or any other two vessel systems.

Do you capture your first lauter in a bucket, then transfer back to the kettle to boil?

Back