80 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
My primary is fermenting above 78 degrees with a white labs saison yeast. Its a hefeweizen, am I getting a fruitier beer or off flavours? Any thoughts appreciated.

It should be generating more esters. I haven't used this strain exactly, but Belgian strains typically prefer higher temps. The last Belgian I did finished fermenting in the low 80's. However, I would recommend pitching in the mid 60's and gradually raising the temp over the course of a week.

Hikes well I guess there was a few things a did wrong. Steeped or mashed some wheat and Munich grains for an hour at 170 . I pitched the yeast at about 80 to start. Any recommendations about what I can do to come out of this with a good tasting beer?

Or is it doomed to taste baaaad?

Sounds like you're making a very wheaty Saison and not a Hefe, but hey that's not a bad thing. You will likely get spicey more than fruity and may need to raise your temps to finish fermenting out. Or throw in a nuetral yeast like US-05 to help finish the job.

I say let it ride!

When should I throw in the yeast? Its been fermenting since Monday and is still bubbling

Thanks for help

If it's still going then let it do it's thing. If you're using WLP565 it had the tendancy to stall but will eventually finish. Especcialy if you raise the temp on it. The US-05 is a last resort! But if you're using WLP566 then it'll finish up pretty quick. Both these yeast will make a fairly dry beer.

Awesome I'm just worried about off flavors. I'm a newb... how lig should I keel it in primary?

Go ahead and leave it alone for at least 3 weeks maybe 4. Take a gravity reading then take another reading 2-3 days later. If it's stable & reading at or below your estimated final gravity then you're ready to bottle.

You picked a good yeast to ferment at high temps but it won't taste like a Hefe.

That's OK about the not tasting like a hefe just as long as it tastes good. Thanks a lot for your help Rob B

Back