Little Tips for New Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubastan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've spent over 50 hours in the last 3 weeks reading over different threads looking for answers to questions I had before starting my 1st brew.
Well my 1st brew came and went and is now sitting in the Primary Fermentor bubbling away.

I was super excited about cooling my wort from 200F to 70F in about 15 minutes using my homemade wort chiller and was ready to pitch my Whitelab Liquid yeast. I took it out of my fridge early that morning to let it sit for the recommended 3-6 hours. I went to twist that sucker open and the whole thing fizzed out like a badly shaken soda. I had Yeast/Foam all over my hands, and clothing but very little if any left to pitch my Wort with. Made a mad dash to the LHBS and grabbed another vial asking the owner for tips on opening it.

So here is My little Tip when opening Liquid Yeast vials.

When you first take it out of the fridge give it a slight twist to release the built up CO2 and then QUICKLY re-close it, or it will all fizz out. I repeated this process another 2 times to release the additional CO2 that had built up from the warming process. Finally I after waiting a LONG 3 hours I was able to carefully open it without any problems.

I encourage others to post any other small tips they may have picked up along the way that aren't often mentioned in the stickys posted above.

Another way is to open it cold, and just let it sit there upright so it can vent a little if it needs to. For some reason I don't usually have a problem with this... the guy who introduced me to brewing used to just open them up real fast, and try to lose as little as possible.

Oh, and starters. In your 50 hours you must have learned about the importance of starters.

Welcome to the forum!

I crack mine open just ever so slightly and let it sit for a while as I prepare the rest of the setup (usually about 2 minutes since I have started canning my starter wort).

By the time I get back it's purged and I can close it back up and shake the yeast into suspension.

When I rack from primary to secondary or a bottling bucket,I just remove the airlock's cap & center piece after connecting my racking tub. It allows the internal pressure to equalize as it empties so flow gos as fast as the spigot/tube will allow.
I'm also thinking up a rig to use my auto siphon to prime the vinator. The more times I use it,the more time it takes to prime it to where it will blow sanitizer. Something to connect it to the pump plunger on top,filled half way with starsan,& work the auto siphon to pull the fluid through it. Last time it took me at least 20 minutes to get it flowing. Late at night too. Gotta fix this.

Another way is to open it cold, and just let it sit there upright so it can vent a little if it needs to. For some reason I don't usually have a problem with this... the guy who introduced me to brewing used to just open them up real fast, and try to lose as little as possible.

Oh, and starters. In your 50 hours you must have learned about the importance of starters.

Welcome to the forum!

This is the method I use also. Crack it cold and let it warm up, and vent it a few times as it comes to temp, until I dump it into my starter.

Here's another one I showed in my bottling video. I place the filled & primed bottling bucket on the brew stand,connect the bottling wand's tube to the Italian spigot. Now,when I have to stop bottling to cap a dozen or so bottles,I prop the bottling wand in the remaining empty bottle. The tube laid over a FV spigot to hold the wand up,but not touching the bottom so the pin valve is shut.
No air bubbles in the tube this way. Unlike just shutting off the spigot,which puts a ton of bubbles in the wand & tube due to a negative pressure wave that starts at the valve & travels back. Less chance of aerating the beer this way.

Here's another one I showed in my bottling video. I place the filled & primed bottling bucket on the brew stand,connect the bottling wand's tube to the Italian spigot. Now,when I have to stop bottling to cap a dozen or so bottles,I prop the bottling wand in the remaining empty bottle. The tube laid over a FV spigot to hold the wand up,but not touching the bottom so the pin valve is shut.
No air bubbles in the tube this way. Unlike just shutting off the spigot,which puts a ton of bubbles in the wand & tube due to a negative pressure wave that starts at the valve & travels back. Less chance of aerating the beer this way.

You mean the one you got from my bottling tips thread...
neener.gif

This is another great tip thread.....

Basically any sticky in the forum can be considered a tip thread.

Crack the vial slightly, open and pitch it cold into your starter. Warming yeast is for wimps! :D

You mean the one you got from my bottling tips thread...
neener.gif

This is another great tip thread.....

Basically any sticky in the forum can be considered a tip thread.
Nope came up with it myself. Good try,though! I set things up per my video because I have a bad L2 disc from my foundry days as a skinny little boy from Cleveland Ohio,come to drink your women & chase your beer! nanner nanner nanner!!

I thought someone would say that,so I told it gospel! I never actually read that/those stickies. I def don't appreciate how some folks occasionally try to make me look like a liar or bs'r. I am neither. I really did think up all that bottling day stuff myself. It just takes some common sense & a little imagination. We all use a lot of imagination in our brewing.
Why is it that when I do,I'm copy-catting or doing crazy/wrong sorts of things?
As for revvy,he's a decent guy with common sense & imagination. It's just that he & other similar folks on here,aren't the only ones. I was just havin a little fun with him in my response.
But it really was just an idea I had to make things easier for a middle aged man with a bad back...:mug:
As a parting thought,sometimes we have to ask ourselves not how did they do it?,but rather,how can I do it?. That's what imagination is all about...

Simmer down... it wouldn't be the first time two people had the same idea :mug:
That's exactly it...parallel development. It just gets frustrating when I put forth something I came up with myself,& these sort of things happen. Or a new idea that get's me the "oh no no no,you can't do that" sort of responses. Just try some of my ideas as you would theirs,& make up your own mind. That's all I'm sayin.

unionrdr said:
That's exactly it...parallel development. It just gets frustrating when I put forth something I came up with myself,& these sort of things happen. Or a new idea that get's me the "oh no no no,you can't do that" sort of responses. Just try some of my ideas as you would theirs,& make up your own mind. That's all I'm sayin.

How do you think Nikola Tesla felt? ;)

Back