Golden Promise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
How come I don't see anyone using Golden Promise in their Scottish ales? I've used this one a lot in American styles like Amber and Brown, it tastes way different than marris otter. Seems like a Scottish malt in a Scottish ale would sound good. Might have to brew one up soon. Has anyone else tried it?

I think because it's so expensive. I've never seen GP in a recipe. I'm thinking of using it in a pale ale, or a 60 shilling, just to get a feel for it, maybe in a SMaSH. I've been using MO with decent results. I've wondered why I've never seen it in recipes.....and I read a lot of recipes.

I think because it's so expensive. I've never seen GP in a recipe. I'm thinking of using it in a pale ale, or a 60 shilling, just to get a feel for it, maybe in a SMaSH. I've been using MO with decent results. I've wondered why I've never seen it in recipes.....and I read a lot of recipes.

Surly Furious clone recipes use Golden Promise. I wish I could compare the beer with and without the GP, but I have only made it the one way.

I'm planning an IPA with some GP in it as a base. It is more expensive than regular 2 row/MO, I think that's why it doesn't get used as much. Also, as Sparkyaber said, Surly does use it in Furious so any clones of that beer will have GP in the grist.

I find the price to be about the same as MO. I prefer GP and use it for most beers. Timothy Taylor Landlord uses 100% GP and Flossmoor Station's Pullman Brown uses a 50/50 mix with domestic 2-row.

I've used it in my Wee Heavy and I loved the character it gave to the brew.

Back